Friday, September 7, 2007

I hate those guys

"Who dropped a whole truckload of Fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode."
- Dean Vernon Wormer
And every Thursday, this crap is in my mailbox.
I pull it out and toss it in the recycle bin. Do I look at it? No. Do I diligently cut out the coupons and use them for my weekly purchases? No. Do I sometimes miss actual mail because it is mixed in with this crap? Yes. Do I shop at any of the stores that pay to put this crap in my mailbox? Maybe, but if I do it is a total coincidence.
We have "Do not call" lists for phone solicitors - why can't we have "Do not send" lists for this kind of nonsense? I'm sure my local letter carrier would support such a measure, since his or her load would be lighter were it not for this junk that they infest my mailbox with each and every Thursday.
Am I alone here? I have regular readers in such faraway places as Ohio [round at the end ... never mind], sunny California, Georgia and (egad) Canada of all places. Do you put up with this nonsense, or is it just here in the Garden State? If my state legislators are listening (reading), maybe they can put away their anti-cell phone legislation for a minute and do something about this ecological disaster that infiltrates my home on a weekly basis.
Please.
It's time for somebody to put their foot down, and that foot is me.

5 comments:

Ladyred said...

Put you foot down? Why stop there? Put it up an ass or two I say!!! Actually now that I have a P O Box, I don't get as much of that crap. Oh I am on mailing lists, since like a 'tard I put my email on the form when I went to the eye doctor, although I don't shop at Lowe's nor am I looking for a new car, but I do get those in my bin. But no where near as much as I used to. I thought there was a way to "opt out" of that crap too?

Have a junk-mail-free weekend!

Sparky Duck said...

Bravo, I curse about this crap every week too, except we get it Friday. I think there is a end junkmail phone number someplace. Let me do a bit of digging

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I get it twice a week now!

And yes, I toss it in the recycling. Our municipality gets some sort of state grant or something, based on how many pounds of recycling they generate.

Thus, I'm very happy to help keep my township generating money. Hopefully, it'll keep my taxes low.

kimmyk said...

we actually caught the guy one morning trying to put these hands on our mailbox and we politey told him to stop littering our driveway with papers. he said okay. next week he did it again, this time jamie caught him and put the newspaper under his wiper and the guy drove off. like what a dork.

phone company dropped off another phone book that is AT LEAST 5" thick and I called them and told them they were littering and asked them to come back and pick it up as we don't need them every year. they said to throw it away. so wasteful-drives me bonkers! i always like cutting up the ads and putting them in their self addressed return envelopes...what a bunch of idiots.

round on the ends and HI in the middle....O...HI...O!

Susan said...

I get mine on Friday too - it kills me that they can send whatever they want at bulk mail prices, no one wants it, and doesn't it pretty much have to be contributing to whatever has been making postal prices go up so much more often lately? grrrr At least I can stick mine in the recycling, but still.