Thursday, September 27, 2007

Don't bother me - I'm watching television

That's a common Garden Cat. Mine, actually. He enjoys an early evening amongst the downstairs flowers, and at this point in his life, who could deny him that simple pleasure?
Tonight, the TV will be warm. The Phillies are still "in the hunt" as they say, a game behind the struggling Mets with four to play. They're facing future Hall of Famer John Smoltz, so it won't be easy. Then, at 8 - of course - it's two hours of high-level comedy that will make me switch off the game. Hey, they play baseball every night.
On the blog front, I had given up on our local Inquirer one, called blinq, after its author Daniel Rubin declared it dead several months ago. He went all brick and mortar on us, taking a regular columnist job at the paper. Imagine my surprise when a simple e-mail exchange gave me the clue that blinq is back in business. Stop by for some local flavor, interesting perspective, good writing and even [egad] entertainment. You might even see my name mentioned. Go figure.
And no sooner did I read his column today on the bio hazards of plastic shopping bags that I found one lingering on the common area behind my condo, to the left of the tree. I'll fetch it before the Garden Cat gets to it.
And now, a rant before I flip on the TV:
A political do-gooder in Pennsylvania is trying to get aluminum bats banned from Little League baseball in the state. He says that the bats hit the ball too hard and make the kids susceptible to injury. The ball is hard too. Maybe they should soften that up. The ground is hard, and so is home plate. And how about those fence posts?
Here’s an idea: Play the games in one of those rubberized Moon bounce things, swathe the kids in bubble wrap and use soft plastic bats and balls. Let’s call it Safeball. That way, the only injury the kids will risk is the injury to their self-image caused by the kind of people who would like to hang a “Sanitized for Your Protection” sign on their precious little children. Just a paper one. No cardboard or sharp edges. While we’re at it, let’s get the adults out of Little League.

7 comments:

kimmyk said...

pretty kitty!
i want one of them cool reuseable bags...but when i finally get around to shopping i come out with two carts full of shit. i think i'd need a lot of those do gooder bags to handle all that.

Anthony said...

10, probably.

Sparky Duck said...

Holy Crap its a tie.

I personally think High Schoolers should have aluminum bats banned, some 3rd string pitcher is gonna get killed some day. Earlier then that, the kids arent strong enough.

kimmyk said...

10? are you kiddin' me? try 20. and at what 20 bucks a pop? gimme plastic. besides they double as trash can liners in my bathroom. yeah that's how we roll around here. trashbag liners.

Susan said...

the metal bat guy must be related to the quick release bike wheel guy...

Anonymous said...

found you through kimmyk.
love the peeking kitty.
ridiculous about the bats.
and that spider on the side bar is FREAKING ME OUT. even though i couldn't stop enticing it with the cursor.

Ladyred said...

I love your rants.

I had something else to say the other day but my internet connection poofed on me.

You know, I haven't seen the office but a couple of episodes and I saw the one where you had quoted the Wikipedia reference. That was funny. I may have to look into previous episodes. I am actually beginning to like that guy.