Friday, January 19, 2007

Just Some Junk

Overheard at the Wawa earlier this evening, while waiting for my sandwich:
A kid was ordering a sandwich for her too-hip-to-order-it-himself boyfriend (complete with knit skull cap and pants around his hips), when she stopped in mid-order to ask him if regular pickles were OK, because they didn't have "summer pickles". Why did she think they would have summer pickles in January? I can't imagine being so picky about pickles that it would matter, but the kid seemed to be pondering the question, when the sandwich artist behind the counter told her that "the pickles are all the same". Whew! A narrow escape.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm getting a lot of Google searches from my Michelle Manhart post the other day, along with the usual Britney Spears up-skirt no-panties and our old pal Cecily Tynan. I also got a page hit from a search for "2006 salary and compensation for Zoe Cruz". Looks like somebody hired a new tax accountant.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
There was a story on the front page of our Inquirer sports section today about the NFL playoffs, and how it was possible that, if Indianapolis and Chicago won on Sunday, that two black head coaches could wind up in the Super Bowl. I suppose it's news (of some sort) but I really wonder why it is such a big deal. I sent an e-mail to the sports editor:
A feature article on the front page of the sports section about two black head coaches who are a step away from making it to the Super Bowl. Historic? Yes, but I think the real historic threshold will be crossed when something like that happens and we don't notice. When we stop writing about it and talking about it, we will have achieved true equality.

At that time, the proper treatment will be given to the accomplishment itself rather than the race or color of the participants. Isn't that what racial equality is supposed to be about?
I suppose they won't print my letter, but I really think it's about time we stopped making such a big fuss over racial issues. I think they only serve to divide us, and for most people (me included) who really didn't give it a thought, bringing up the issue doesn't contribute to anything positive. I thought it was odd that the newspaper would run such an article (written by an Associated Press writer) until I saw an article on Yahoo's front page tonight, which is the same article that ran in our newspaper today.
------------------------------------------------------------------
You can watch this ridiculous television show if you want (40 million people do), but as for me, I stand vindicated of the nonsense they perpetrate. It looks like it's getting cruel, and this is an example of just how cruel and silly. This is supposed to be entertainment? It is said that nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public. Case in point: American Idol.
You can read this too, if you'd like.

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

ok so I know there's like dill pickles and sweet pickles, but summer pickles? i didnt know that.

i hate the people who google and find my blog. they're usually nasty f**kers.

supergirlest said...

letter to the editor - SO TRUE!

wawa looks to be yum yum! but what the hell's a summer pickle, anyway?

Me said...

OMFG! Your pickles story is HILARIOUS!! How did you keep from busting out laughing when you were there?
SOOOOO good to be back online again. I have MISSED visiting my regular sites.
You changed your pix, and the look of your page. I like it.

Anthony said...

Superg: I'm not sure what summer pickles are. I figure, a pickle is a pickle, and once it's in a sandwich, who gives a F? Stinkin' kids.
Wawa is yum. Best franchise in the area.

OldBroad: I cry to keep from laughing.