Saturday, January 20, 2007

No Accounting for Tastes

When the Deathmobile is heading toward the parade grandstand at the end of Animal House, Dean Vernon Wormer stares blankly into the screen, and to no one in particular, quietly proclaims, "I hate those guys."
That's the same way I feel about the people running American Idol.

In the end, they're going to win, because money goes to people who appeal to the masses. But I don't have to like it (and I don't) and neither do I have to approve of their methods for attracting audience or running what they refer to as "entertainment". Here's what the people running the show had to say about the ramifications of what I posted on Friday:

PASADENA, Calif. - The Fox television network chief on Saturday dismissed talk of unusual cruelty by the judges on "American Idol" this year, saying he's heard from people who think the show has been toned down. "I think it's part of what makes "American Idol" "American Idol,'" Peter Liguori, Fox entertainment president, told television writers.

Toned down? How is it possible that something that is so popular has been toned down? And who has he heard from? Fox executives, I'm guessing. Meanwhile, here is the simple truth:
The show is more popular than ever, which attracts more people than ever to those initial talent searches. The producers, realizing that people love listening to the judges being judgmental, parade the delusional in front of them, hoping that they will make spectacles of themselves. People seldom disappoint when the standards are low. In other words, if they didn't think that the weirdos would appeal to the masses, they wouldn't put them on TV.
The show is a ratings giant and a franchise that is bigger than even the dopes in charge realized it could be. Hundreds of thousands of people are whittled down to a select few in an alleged nationwide talent search. The only thing "nationwide" about the search is the search for freaks and weirdos for the judges to ridicule. Otherwise, the outcome has likely aready been decided. It is only up to you (not me) the viewer, to tune in, cast your meaningless vote and play along with the Fox executives who are raking in the money while you debate your meaningless opinions about which of the pre-determined singers will be the winner. Trouble is, the winner has already been determined, and your only job is to wait until the end of the show so that the Fox executives can maximize their profit at your expense. Enjoy the show.

Has it been toned down? No, not if you consider the machine that American Idol has become. Average singers are thrust upon the public in what they are led to believe is a blind search for the next superstar.
The truth is, we don't need another superstar, and the search isn't blind. The only superstars are the judges, and the viewers are the only ones who are blind.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

You really don't like AI do ya? LOL!

I've never seen someone spend so much time writing about a subject they apparently don't like.

You need to let it go Anthony before you have a meltdown.

Let's talk about the Grease thing on NBC or Dance Life on MTV if ya wanna talk about stupid reality shows.

Anthony said...

I'm at my best when I'm passionate about a subject (positive or negative) and I just don't see the point of ridicule as entertainment.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't so popular. If three people were watching, who gives a F? But the fact that (supposedly) millions of people watch this garbage only serves to make it more galling - and more appealing a subject to write about.
After all, if I spent 300 words on something nobody watched (like hockey) then who would care?

Never heard of Dance Life, and the Grease thing strikes me as a kind of silly concept. They're casting a show that's been around for 30 years? What's the point?

Besides, I'm not sure anyone's watching.

bananas62 said...

I will only say this, I HATE REALITY SHOWS, THEY "BLOW"... and I am a firm believer that if you do like it, don't watch it... everyone at my work watches this show as if their lives depend upon knowing who will win.. It scares me so... (though, one of my co-workers who actually is a wonderful singer auditioned for it a couple of years ago... didn't make it.) I suppose it's cheap entertainment for some,AS for me??? I read...ALot!!

Me said...

I'm beginning to think here that maybe you don't like American Idol.
And...I can hold my head up proudly and say, "I HAVE NEVER WATCHED IT" - and NOT be lying.

Anthony said...

Well, I've never watched it either, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion. It's thrust upon us enough that you don't have to watch to know what's going on.

Pam said...

I've never even heard of those two shows that Kimmy mentioned.

One of the perks of a job in academia is that none of my colleagues would dare ADMIT to watching AI. So I am not subjected to incessant blather about it at work. Although the students do discuss it amongst themselves sometimes.

I have to admit that I have seen the show a handful of times (don't tell my colleagues!!), but I don't think ever from beginning to end. I don't really get the long-term appeal. Someone should do a study.