Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Righting the Ship

OK, so yesterday was kind of a downer. Nobody said blogging was easy.
So, I'm reading the newspaper today, and there's a story on page 2 about the ongoing clean-up at the World Trade Center site (heretofore known as "Ground Zero" - which I can no longer call my bedroom). The big problem, it seems, is that they are still digging up remains of the victims. Small pieces of bone and other such unidentifiable fragments of human remains.
What aroused my interest was that the city has come under some scrutiny for doing what many refer to as a half-assed job of cleaning and recovering in the wake of the attacks. What fascinates me about such things is that we (the collective "we") are so hung up on this closure thing, when it comes to bodies and whatnot.
What I don't get is - why does it matter so much to us? Will finding a bone fragment or some other mutiliated body part bring some sense of completion to what we already knew was a foregone conclusion?
Burial and recovery are such high priority issues to some, but I don't get it. If an airplane explodes or a building falls on me, does it salve the feelings of my family if they find some small pulverized fragment of my body? Some say it does, but it says here that I really don't need you to go to all the trouble.
Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said officials had identified additional manholes and utility cavities at the Lower Manhattan site that needed to be examined. About five have been excavated, and the searchers expect to burrow into 12 more subterranean areas in coming days.
"They will go through every grain, every piece of material carefully, and sift through it," Skyler said.
Why?
For the record, you won't need to bury me. Just burn my dead ass and blow my ashes over the water. Cold, I know, but life goes on ... for some.

8 comments:

Kate Michele said...

I can see how it could be closure for some. When someone close to you dies so unexpectedly and in such a tragedy, I'm sure their will forever be that peice of you that hopes. That needs proof to stop the constant feeling that they'll be home at any minute.

Then I also see your point that by now we know their not coming back and a little sliver of bone that can't even be identfied as anyones isn't going to change that, if anythng it will only serve to bring back all the pain of losing them.

rattln along said...

I told my wife to invest in a study trash bag and put me out with trash on Thursday. I think that the gov'rment might object to that, though.

When I am done with this body, I will have no use for in the future.

rattln along said...

make that a sturdy bag not study :)

kimmyk said...

i guess it's just a way for those who can't let go with no "proof" to maybe have closure and proof they're not coming back. who knows...i don't like hearing about it. but what are you going to do. the media loves to create drama and chaos in peoples lives.

i dont care what they do with me when i die. i just dont want young kids digging me up trying to have sex with me. [did you read that story? gross!] honey said once i've been known lay there like a cold dead fish**-i imagine in death it would be same.

**for the record he hasn't said that in a while-the whole "ok so you're not getting any ever again" really made him think long and hard about choosing his words wisely.

Anthony said...

kimmyk: Wow. You and the hubby certainly have some interesting conversations. :)

rattlin: I'm not sure about the trash bag. You'd have to go back in the archives to see how I feel about them!

Katie: I know, but it just seems like such a waste of time.

Pam said...

I think people watch too many soap operas (you know, where people die without a body and then come back from the dead having had amnesia or something). There is that tiny sliver of hope.

I want to be cremated. I think burial is a waste of good land and I'd just be dug up in 100 years for some strip mall or housing development anyway.

Carmen said...

i want to be cremated as well, which freaks my parents out. why? i don't know.

I also want to open a paint your own urn business with my friend. ;)

Anthony said...

carmen: You could do it like a ceramics class. Complete with creepy music.
I'd paint mine up to look like an incinerator.