Thursday, October 26, 2006

I am Not a Guinea Pig, I am a Human Being!

In the Marketing class I had at Widener, I found out that there are people who are referred to as "Early Adopters". Those are the ones that start-up's and growth companies target when they introduce new products. I suppose "Guinea Pigs" would apply, but the adventurer in me would not appreciate the negative connotation.

I'm a gadget guy. I love new stuff, and the newer the better. And if the price is right, I'm all in. Like those new flavored coffees. Uh-huh. And the potato chips that taste like cheese steaks? You betcha. And how about the cat litter with the little crystals? I haven't heard any complaints.
I'd love to be able to drive a hybrid car, but they're just too expensive now. I did buy a 2005 Ford Focus that is a PZEV (Partial Zero-Emissions Vehicle) so I feel like I'm part of the solution. I think by the time I'm ready to buy my next vehicle, it will be partially battery powered.


In that spirit, I've been exploring the Pocket PC market. After some Internet browsing and price checking, I settled on the Dell Axim. It's a full-featured Windows-based PC with a 3.7" screen. The best feature of it is that it is WiFi capable. All of our local libraries and most of the city of Philadelphia is WiFi friendly, with free hot spots scattered around, including the office where I work.
It's supposed to ship on Monday, so I'm sure you'll notice a drastic improvement in the quality of my work with this latest cool gadget at my disposal - sometime next week.
But just in case it doesn't work, this thing may be a future Ebay listing - or a blog post - whichever comes first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
As I have said before, my tool box is the Yellow Pages. That's why it is so interesting that my weekend project will be to replace the lockset on my front door. I went to the Home Depot on Wednesday and purchased one, and much to my surprise, the place didn't burst into flames when I entered - so that's a plus.

I went with the "Lever" design (like I know what I'm talking about) and the package says "Easily installed with a screwdriver". Well, there may be some vodka and orange juice involved, but I don't think it will help me. I think they put that "Easy to install" junk on the box to make me feel like a dope if I can't do it. What they don't realize is that I'll feel like a dope regardless.
Check Ebay on Monday for a "Like New Lockset - Never installed".

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

You can do it! I like gadgets if they have soft buttons. Buttons I can mash. Good stuff.

Have a good weekend.

Pam said...

I always wait for the prices to come waaayyyy down. I'm okay with last year's model.

Anthony said...

Well, Dell gave out a 25% discount on the price plus free shipping ... so what's a boy to do?

Kate Michele said...

OOOOOO..... Fancy!! So like you can email where ever when ever??

Carmen said...

well, i'd be an early adopter of say the new HiDef tivo box if it wasn't $700! I can't afford to be an early adapter.

And nothing is ever "easy to install". It should be against the law to say so.

supergirlest said...

not to make you feel bad, but i installed a new lockset and dead bolt on our front door. i even had to use this file looking thingy to make the hole bigger so the deadbolt would fit. i was quite proud of me. :)