Saturday, March 7, 2009

An hour older.

Daylight saving time. The lasting legacy of Benjamin Franklin and George W. Bush. Franklin, because he wanted an extra hour of daylight to do farming and Bush because it was the best idea he had to stem the tide of wasted energy. Neither one of them does me any good on Sunday morning.
We've long since abandoned the Agrarian society and George W. Bush, so why do we need to continue this nonsense?
So here I sit in the darkness, waiting for 2am so that I can move the clock ahead an hour thus saving me daylight. I understand completely.
Otherwise, I'd have to set the alarm for 2am so that I could accurately move the clock. It's all about accuracy. If I moved the clock ahead an hour at 10pm, it's possible that I'd be four hours ahead when I woke up (eventually) on Sunday morning.
Isn't that how it works?
Daylight saving time
makes us think we're saving time
while we're wasting it.

1 comment:

howard said...

I haven't been the same since the leap forward last week. It's seems to have jarred me, putting me in a bit of a haiku funk for most of the past week. So your use of the form seems ironically appropriate here.