Monday, February 2, 2009

What was that, a football game?

Sorry to say I missed some of it. I fell asleep during the third quarter, before the heroics (or so I hear) and since I admitted as much at work today, I was greeted witht the blank stares of people who otherwise didn't care about the game until it got good.
It was in all the papers though, so I heard as much as I needed to hear.
As for Bruce, he was OK. He's losing his voice - the by-product of 30 years of screaming like a maniac. The lyric adjustment to "Glory Days" from speedball to Hail Mary was a questionable, I thought. I know, it's a football game and it's a song about baseball. We get it. It made me cringe. Actually, speedball made me cringe when I first heard it, as did the accompanying video where he tries to throw. Nobody calls it a speedball, unless you're hanging out with Richard Pryor. Stick to music, Bruce.
The commercials were forgettable. I've seen enough talking babies. Let's move on.
The one most people thought was good - the Mrs. Potatohead thing - was equally forgettable. I don't remember what the ad was for, and isn't that the point?
Al Michaels had his best days calling the American Olympic hockey team ("Do you believe in miracles?") which some say was scripted due to tape-delay. Otherwise, his work on Sunday was lackluster. National television does no justice in critical sporting events like the Super Bowl and World Series. The announcers aren't allowed to have a rooting interest, so their excitement is muffled by non-partisanship. On Harrison's 100-yard interception runback, he may as well had been carrying groceries to his car as far as Michaels was concerned. The second thing he said (after the interception) was the falling penalty flag. After that, he took a few pregnant seconds to announce the touchdown, which was later reviewed in that anti-climactic sense that the NFL has adopted. Millions watching on TV and the hundreds of Steeler fans in the stadium sat in silent anticipation. Michaels hedged his bets in the best interest of television.
As for me, I fell asleep and woke up just in time for The Office, which was the primary reason I was keeping track of the game to begin with. It agonizingly started at 10:40EST after the post-ejaculate commercials and round-up of paid analysts. "What did you think, Frank?"
"Pretty good game."
Wake me when it's over, which is exactly what happened.

1 comment:

kimmyk said...

I loved the Bridgestone Tire ad with Mrs Potato Head!! [That's what it was--tire ad incase you were wondering...] I love her little *blink blink* That totally cracks me up!

"pregnant seconds"...never heard that phrase before. but that's how long it takes to get pregnant..seconds. Good analogy.