Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day for night.

Day for night. I think it's the name of a Truffaut film. It's what filmmakers call shooting at night and making it look like daytime. To see it, check out the scene in "American Beauty" when Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) is interviewing for a job at Mister Smiley's. It was shot at night, but they blew lights through the windows to make it look like the afternoon. That's why you come here, for fascinating tidbits of info like that. You're welcome.
Mr. Smiley's Manager: I don't think you'd fit in here.
Lester Burnham: I have fast food experience.
Mr. Smiley's Manager: Yeah, like twenty years ago!
Lester Burnham: Well, I'm sure there have been amazing technological advances in the industry, but surely you must have some sort of training program. It seems unfair to presume I won't be able to learn.
I don't know - maybe it's night for day? Whatever, it's snowing and I don't like it.
Anyway, this is the view outside my window at 9:00pm, as the first snow of the season falls on our heads and automobiles. The trouble is, I have to go to work tomorrow, which means I'll have to get up an hour earlier than usual to scrape my car and limp the 30 miles to work behind all the SUVs doing 20mph.
Meanwhile, there’s still a minor buzz over the nonsense surrounding swimmer Michael Phelps and his choice of party favors. Inquirer columnist John “Gonzo” Gonzalez made a salient point today, saying that when it comes to celebrities, ”the only thing we love more than building someone up is tearing them down.”
As though we want to say, "See, he's just like me." They're not, of course. They are gifted with, among other things, time and money and friends with cell phones that take very nice photos.
More than anything, celebrities have to think about their actions because invariably someone will be recording it. It's a long way between "I heard Phelps was doing bong hits at a party" and "Here's a photo of Phelps doing bong hits at a party." There’s nothing we like more than some juicy gossip substantiated by photographic proof.
I think he's just another dopey kid who can swim really fast.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

Beautiful picture!
We didn't get any of that...we're suppose to tonight after eleven so we'll see. The white stuff sure is pretty to look at isn't it? Visually stimulating to the optic nerve...yet so so sucky to drive in.

Good luck getting to work tomorrow. Drive safe! (and take your camera!)

Anthony said...

Thanks. I switched it to Black and White because I didn't feel like goofing with the white balance. The snow is white and the sky is grey.
Makes sense to me.

Kate Michele said...

awesome picture!!!!

first snow.... geezzz hahaha

XXXX

susan said...

That is a beautiful picture. You make NJ look pretty.....

I hope kitty enjoyed the snow too....

Kate Michele said...

Gezzzz babe you're awefully demanding ;)

I'll see what i can do.

xoxox

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Beautiful!!