Friday, February 15, 2008

Strange like me.

Part of being a weirdo is that I can get excited about things that few other people get excited about. Three of them are happening now.
1 – There’s a cool new sidebar item on my blog. Scroll down a bit (or check the bottom right corner of your screen) and you’ll see a Yahoo Finance heading with a bunch of junk under it. There’s a 6-month chart of the NASDAQ Index, some news headlines and stock quotes for some notable companies.
If you want to get it for your site, go to Yahoo Finance (or click here) and select the “get quotes for your web site” option (under the Dow Jones quote box), follow the directions and add it to your HTML/Java Script page element. Viola! You might have to be a registered Yahoo user to make it work - or not - I don't know.

2 – Yesterday was the start of the 2008 LPGA season. I know what you’re thinking, just like the groundhog; this means six more months of Paula Creamer posts. Well … yeah. This week, the girls are in Hawaii (not bad being a golfer, eh?) for the SBS open that Paula won last year. The tournament is on the Golf Channel in hi-definition, which is very cool. I’m getting excited just writing about it. It’s on live tonight and Saturday at 6:30 EST.
3 – Sunday is the Daytona 500. For some of you, watching cars driving around in a circle might not seem like high entertainment. NASCAR is one of the few sports that is better on TV than in person. At the track it’s terribly boring, but the TV coverage tones down the noise of the engines and provides enough outside stuff to keep it interesting. Plus, on TV it doesn’t look as much like they’re going around in circles. For the record, I'm a big fan of Tony Stewart, but I'm not putting a picture of him on my blog.
So there ya go. Isn’t it always the tiny mundane things that make life worth living? I hope so, because at this point, the tiny mundane things are about all I have going on.
Blogging, women’s golf and NASCAR. Can life get any better? I submit that it cannot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Submission altered:
Riesling, an exciting jazz CD, blogging - that's more like it!

Anthony said...

I've never tried Riesling, so I'll put that on the list.

As for an exciting jazz CD, I'm always open to suggestions.

Anonymous said...

I am a bit worried about the Riesling thing, to be honest.As you've never tried any, you might taste a bad one and then be put off for the rest of your life.

Good Riesling doesn't have a plain sour or sweet taste, but it holds a perfect balance between the two, combined with a bouquet that's in-between flowery, fruity and earthy or mineral. This again depends on the soil where the grapes were grown. A good wine in general reveals the soil where it was grown, the so-called "terroir", which entices to language corruption of course, in sentences such as: "Hey, give me some more of this terror wine!" But I digress.
Ideally, the combination of the scent AND the taste of the wine is complex and rounded, so in every sip you can sense all the aromas and flavors in a certain pleasurable order. They tell a story if you like, and very often the taste changes while the bottle is open, because the wine reacts with oxygen.

It is also essential to use the right glass. The "Riesling glass" has a certain shape that brings out best what I have just poured you over with (sic). I am not being arty-fartsy with this. You can try it out yourself: One and the same wine tastes different in differently shaped glasses.

As if it wasn't enough for now: Only try your own taste buds! 99 "Parker points" don't mean that YOU will like the wine. A friend of mine told me (and he was right): You don't need to be an expert, but when there is some good wine in your glass, you will know.

So cheers!

PS: I've never tried them, but some of the Rieslings from Oregon are said to be exceptionally great.

Ladyred said...

Yup NASCAR is way better on TV. Same with football, in my opinion, then again I had nosebleed seats and drunken guys surrounding me when I had season tickets one year.

Ladyred said...

Oh yea, noticed the Finance section.....nifty!