Saturday, January 19, 2008

Between 8 and 12.

Once. Just once I'd like to be on a delivery schedule where they tell me "Between 8 and 12" and have a knock on the door at 8:15. Just once.
As I sat flipping the channels between "Apollo 13" and "Witness" - I stopped once when the Kelly McGillis nude scene flashed on, stunned that Universal showed it so early in the day - I wondered who exactly were the lucky people who get to experience such events. (The delivery thing, not naked Kelly McGillis - although that's interesting, too).
Somewhere in New Jersey a happy mattress owner was greeting their courteous delivery guys at 8:15 and gushing over the prompt attention to their schedule. It wasn't here.
Just as Jack Swigert was powering-down the command module, a knock came at the door. I had anticipated it, because the cat sensed the strangers approaching, like a feline alarm system.
11:34.
Technically, it's between 8 and 12, so can I complain?
Nope. Plus the fact that it's a beautiful mattress that sits on the bed about 4 inches higher than the old one, so I'll have to buy the cat a stepladder.
I need a nap. Fortunately, I know exactly where to go for that.

6 comments:

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Yeah I've never had anyone come toward the early end of the time frame. I hate sitting there all day waiting nervously for the guy/gal to show up.

I wish that I could tell my bill collectors that I'll pay them in 2-3 weeks.

annabkrr said...

LOL James. Wonder what they'd say if we told 'em that? :)

When we had our Dish put in they told us between 7-5!!! And the dumb ass didn't get here until after 5.

I wanted to throw something at him.

Anthony said...

anna: I would have hit him with the dish.

Firestarter5 said...

That was no different than when I was living by Toronto and needed the cable people to fix my cable system. They told me someone would be there between 9 and 5. I had to use up a vacation day just to wait for someone who, when they eventually arrived, was done the job in under 10 minutes. Thanks for that.

Firestarter5 said...

Admit it though. The new mattress is heavenly isn't it. The miracles of modern science.

Anthony said...

It is awesome, Fire. I should have bought it 4 months ago.