Sunday, August 5, 2007

A little distracted

You know those kind of days that you wish you had slept through? I had two of them in a row. On Saturday, the power went out for a couple of hours, which wasn't so bad, since it happened in the morning and I could actually sleep through it.
Sunday, however ... started with a flat tire on the bike, which is never a good start. They're easy to change, but just a mild pain in the ass. When I got home, I was hoping for the cool comfort of the great indoors, but I noticed that the place was a tad bit warmer than usual - like 10 degrees. The blower was running, but warm air was coming out.
Crap.
For those of you outside the area, we're going through a bit of hot weather these days. Today wasn't as bad as it's been, and it isn't as bad as it's going to get. Add to that the fact that I'm in a second floor condo, and you see the dire need of air conditioning. It was 88 degrees in the place at 4 o'clock this afternoon. The ceiling fans started running, and since it was "only" 83 degrees outside, I opened the windows. It's going to get to 85 tomorrow, and close to 100 on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Naturally, I called a repair service, but seeing as how it was late in the day on Sunday, I figured I should put up with it rather than incur the double-time-and-a-half or whatever screw-job they would give me for making a guy give up his Sunday dinner so I could stop sweating.
They're coming on Monday, and I've got my fingers and eyes crossed that it's something simple. Since the blower is running, and the fan is turning on the outside unit, I'm figuring that there's a leak in the line someplace. Meanwhile, it's 10:20 and it's still 85 degrees in here. I can't imagine what it will be like if they can't fix this thing and we get to Tuesday and it's 97 outside. It's killing me now, and I'm not nearly as furry as the cat. He doesn't seem to mind.
So, as you can figure, I'm a little distracted right now, so there won't be the usual witty banter or urbane rants that you have become accustomed to over the past 15 months. It's too frigging hot, and my keen sense of the worst case scenario is telling me this repair is going to cost me big.
Perhaps tomorrow cooler heads will prevail.

5 comments:

kimmyk said...

Oh man. Wouldn't ya know. AC breaks in the hottest week of the year. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it. If not, might I suggest taking a cold shower and laying in front of the fan to go to sleep.

I use to have to do that when I lived on the second floor of my first apartment. Hotter than Haiti.

Think cool thoughts.

Firestarter5 said...

I lived on the fifth floor of an apt building for 10 years. I managed to get a window mounted air conditioner after about the 5th year. The first year I had it running, all those drips of water you normally see dropping from an ac, I didn't see them for some reason. Then one morning I got up and seen that the wooden tile floor in my living room had popped up like a balloon. All those drips found their way under my floor. What a disaster!

Maybe your ac just needs to be charged up with freon or something.

Susan said...

Anthony I can certainly sympathize - this is the first summer I've finally succumbed to using the AC almost all summer - usually I do the strategic fan thing you spoke of in the later post - still this evening the cats and I are fairly melting... hope your AC is all better now and stays that way! (tks for the comment - I had completely forgot about the tippy toe/lemon tree episode - so so funny... also slightly a propos: I'm gearing up to start rewatching CYE for the umpteenth time - woo hoo! :)

Sparky Duck said...

you are right, sunday wasnt awful. Monday made up for it. I give you sympathy, because you gave me sympathy

Laura said...

you have my sympathies.
last summer when we had over 20 consecutivedays of 100+, the power would abruptly cut out and remain out for hours due to statewide power demands and LA?Bay Area always took precedence over other areas....bastards! LOL
anyway, yes, we got by somehow back in the day but that doesn't make it any easier or cooler now.
hope you get a break in the weather soon