Thursday, June 21, 2007

You can call me stupid, but...

... I don't get this whole "illegal immigration" debate. If they are illegal, what are we debating?

... I don't get this stem cell bill veto, either. The president vetoed the latest bill, saying that "If this legislation became law, it would compel American taxpayers for the first time in our history to support the deliberate destruction of human embryos."
I guess it's not OK for taxpayers to pay to destroy embryos, but it is OK for taxpayers to fund the war in Iraq, where actual walking, talking humans are being destroyed every day.

... I don't understand why automobile drivers in Pennsylvania (and other states) are required by law to wear seat belts, but motorcycle riders are not required to wear helmets.

... I don't understand why it is legal to sell tickets to events on web sites for exorbitant prices, yet so-called "scalpers" outside the actual event are arrested and/or chased off the property by police. Why is there a difference between selling tickets from a building or web site and selling them in person?
If you haven't noticed, several pro sports franchises are in cahoots with sites like Razorgator to sell their game tickets via the team's web site. The whole thing sounds shady to me - because it is. They try to tell us that the "fans" scoffed up the tickets when they went on sale, but those of us with a brain in our head know better.
Eagles vs. Cowboys on November 4? Tickets start at $211 and go to $901 for 50 yard line lower level.

... I don't get this Last Comic Standing show. I had it on for about three minutes tonight. I thought it was supposed to be a talent show for "unknown" comics. Arj Barker and Sabrina Matthews advanced to the next round. Both of them have had Comedy Central specials and have been headlining for a while, so what's the point? Last year, Louis C.K. was a finalist. Another headliner. They're already established comics, and very funny, but they are up against ... who exactly? When I see stuff like that, it makes me glad I haven't been paying attention. If I was standing in line to audition for this show and I saw Arj or Louis hanging around, I'd figure my chances of advancing were reduced by at least two. Stupid TV.

... I know exactly what the Phillies are going to do to us again this year. They are going to string us along until the middle of September and then - at the last minute - pull the rug out from under us in a sudden burst of losing. They are just good enough (or bad enough) to be in the race against mediocre talent, but as always, they will find a way to lose after they have sucked the life out of the fans once again.
You can call me stupid, but I have tickets for another half dozen games this year, right up until the final series against the Florida Marlin.
Editors note: Marlin is plural for marlin. There is no such word as Marlins and I refuse to call them by a non-existent word, no matter what it says on their uniforms.

... I am constantly amazed when something good happens to me. Last week, I bought a beautiful new 37" LCD TV for $1000 from Best Buy. On Sunday, the same set went on sale for $200 less than I paid for it. On Tuesday, I went to the store, receipt and ad in hand, expecting an argument - but no. Before I finished telling the customer service guy my tale, he had scanned my receipt, printed a "Price Match" receipt and credited my account for the 200 bucks. So, now I have a really cool LCD set for even less than what I already thought was a good price. Kudos to Best Buy. For the record, I sent them a nice e-mail.

5 comments:

rattln along said...

Best Buy Rocks.

So does Fry's. I bought a scanner there about three months ago and could not find the purchase receipt. Epson said that they would repair it but needed that information. So went to Fry's to see if their computer had the record. The computer was not finding it but the "person in Charge" (that is what it says under his picture) interrupted my conversation and asked if I was wanting an even exchange. I was surprised and said yes. He said go grab it from the shelf and he will make an even exchange without the paperwork.

Customer service is still out there, you just gotta look for it.

Ladyred said...

Yay for you! I have never had that happen to me yet and always wondered if I'd be given a hard time. I myself prefer Circuit City....

I think I am idiotically challenged *???* because I don't get some of these things either. Among other things that either people, the government or society does.

*shakes head*

I like that pole in front of the garage.

rattln along said...

i quit using Circuit City after they made a bonehead decision to layoff employees because they were getting paid too much. Read it here:http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070328/circuit_city_layoffs.html

There is a new Circuit City opening in my town but I will not even darken its doors.

Anthony said...

It's interesting to me that I have heard from others that they have had bad dealings with Best Buy. I never have, up to and including Tuesday. I like the idea that their sales people do not earn commission and they aren't pushy, merely hanging around for questions and such.

Circuit City, on the other hand, appears to be the weasel of the group, and the layoff issue offended many. I haven't shopped there in years. In fact, I think the last thing I bought there was the TV that quit working last week. That was in 1996.

Best Buy does indeed rock.

Firestarter5 said...

Best Buy is relatively new up here. I love that store, even though I rarely visit it or buy anything there, it's just nice to walk around and keep saying "holy shit" to yourself when you see the prices on 50" plasma's.

Be glad you guys don't have Future Shop down there...