Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Special Shout-Out to American Greetings

Dear American Greetings,

Welcome to my little space on the Internet. As you know, some of us were none too happy to find that your Blue Mountain subsidiary posted a so-called greeting card that was biased politically. Something you called Love Democratic Style.

While it is not generally my fashion to conduct boycotts of products, I feel that in this case it is both easy and justified. Why is it easy? Because my local greeting card emporium is loaded with cards of all sorts. Some are made by a company you may know as Hallmark. Occasionally, I like to buy a blank card and (egad!) do the writing myself. Imagine that. Some people do not need greeting cards. Whatever will you do?

As for the e-greetings, e this. I can do my e-greeting via cleverly crafted e-mails or by stopping by a place like The Nature Conservancy, who will happily send an e-greeting to the recipient of my choice. Free too.

The next time you consider putting politically biased cartoon e-greeting cards on the Internet, perhaps you will remember these things and think twice about whom you offend with your greeting card satire.

Thanks for stopping by.

P.S. For those of you who may be innocent bystanders and are wondering what in Hell I'm talking about; you can find the answer here.

7 comments:

Anthony said...

Minutes after posting this, I found out that Blue Mountain had pulled the offending e-greeting card.
I considered taking this post down, but I kind of like the rant, so up it stays. Besides, I already sent the same thing in a shitty e-mail, and I was kind of baiting them to stop by the blog.

So, Hell -- what good is blogging if I can't enjoy it?

Anonymous said...

Don't you have anything better to do with your life other than complain about stuff like this? It was clearly a joke, a lame attempt at political humor through a rip off of the TV show Love American Style. It isn't offensive but also wasn't very funny. I used to admire your posts because they were intelligent. This just shows me that you really don't care about free speech unless it is yours. I am proud to live in a country where anyone can say what they want as long as it does not endanger someone else - this clearly does not.

Anthony said...

Where do I begin?

Gee, I'm so sorry to lose "anonymous" as a worshipper. If you only had a name to go with your faceless comment.

You must have nothing better to do with your life either, other than complaining about complaining.

In politics, there is a concept called "equal time", in which each party gets to have their say. Talk shows cannot book a Republican candidate without booking a Democrat. It's just the way it is.

American Greetings is not in the business of political satire. Offering a card that mocks one group without offering a similar one mocking another is both unethical and bad business. I'm sorry you are too shallow to see that.

Do you think that anyone who didn't believe in free speech would be writing a blog?

There's a Shakespearean insult waiting for you on my sidebar.

Anthony said...

Well, it appears that our friend "anonymous" hails from Cleveland, and is (little doubt) employed by the American Greetings Company.

So, who are you? Just a loud employee or an executive of the company? You are clearly a liar, and have never been to my blog before, even though you say that you "used to admire" my posts. Since when? Yesterday?

Gosh, I love my stat counter. And Hallmark.

Me said...

Oh.My.Gawd.
Anthony = 100.
Anonymous Troll = NADA.

Pam said...

I always wonder why critics don't sign their names? Seems awfully cowardly.

I am so sorry for your loss of an anonymous troll, anthony.

msliberty said...

This. Is. Awesome!

I'm so mad I didn't get here sooner!