Sunday, February 11, 2007

Grammy Schmammy

Tonight, the music industry pats itself on the back.
Tonight is the 49th Annual Grammy Awards, and the instrument has not been invented that can measure my indifference to the program.
I'm what most people would call a music snob. I've never been interested in popular music - mostly because it's popular. It's easy to turn on the radio and be spoon-fed music that some programmer has been paid to tell us we like. As for me, I prefer to do my own research and find musicians whom I feel are worthy of my attention, time and money.

I came of age during the so-called "progressive rock" era of the early 1970s, and my favorite musicians were bands like Gentle Giant, Focus, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, King Crimson and Manfred Mann's Earth Band. They were acquired tastes, and the music was challenging to listen to, but to me, that made it so much better.

My Grammy hatred comes from the 1972 Awards show, when "American Pie" was nominated for Best Song of the Year. It was a slam dunk to win, right? I was 15 years old, and awards shows were a big deal. I wanted to see my favorite performers win awards. These days, I couldn't give a crap, but I was a kid. Anyway, the award went to "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", a song that was written in 1957, and appeared on Roberta Flack's First Take album in 1969. I figured that if it was really deserving of a Best Song award, it would have won either in 1957 or 1969. Why was it winning now? Roberta Flack is a pretty good singer, but DAMN - over "American Pie"? It's the landmark song of its time. I figured that the media was pissed at Don McLean because he would never tell people what all the references meant, and they were giving him the shaft by not giving him the award.

The night of the program, he performed "Vincent", and I vowed to never watch another Grammy Awards show. It's 2006, and every year, more nonsense is nominated, and they overlook better music that either is not popular, or is not paying the promoters enough money to play it on the radio. They should just call the show what it is - The Popular Music Awards - The PMAs.

So, The Police are re-uniting? OK, great. Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland can finally stop waiting by their telephones for Sting to run out of creative ideas and start cashing the checks. Just like the Super Bowl last week, this is just another TV show. It is not a celebration of great music.

It hasn't improved any since 1972, and I don't feel like I've missed a thing by missing all those shows. In fact, if a CD has a "Grammy Award Winner" sticker on it, I'm probably going to question my purchase, or figure that the award people have made some terrible mistake. These are the same people who thought Jethro Tull was "Heavy Metal" and created a category called "Alternative Music", and didn't put any alternative music artists in it. If they're popular enough to be nominated for a Grammy, they aren't alternative.

I'm very sensitive about music, and the hard work it takes to do it well. I hate when it is cheapened by stupid TV talent shows or ridiculous awards shows that fail to either award excellence or recognize great music.

10 comments:

Kate Michele said...

WORD.

I was going to rant about the grammy's but was already getting rawled up just thinking about all I was going to say. Well done Anthony!!

**side note** It's 2007 buddy... It's ok I mean you are a child of the 70's...Haha

Anthony said...

I know ... Geez - 35 years! I can hold a grudge like Khomeini.

Sparky Duck said...

sheesh, Im glad I brought it up now

Anthony said...

That's OK, Sparky. I needed a topic, and I forgot the program was on tonight.

Ranting is good for my overall mental health.

Firestarter5 said...

Iron Maiden was never nominated so I never watched. I can't watch these award shows. To much "fakeness" going on. I'll stick with Tye and Extreme Home Makeover.

I never did understand the Jethro Tull tag.

Christy Forrester said...

Anthony, I totally agree! I always wonder if it is just that I am getting older….but now that I think about it…I never really listened to empty pop. But it is getting worse.
I wonder how the older artists feel as they see these changes occur?

I do have to say good for the Dixie Chicks though! I have always loved them!
I think they have not felt the support they deserve until now.

Let me also ask…Someone please tell what the big deal is about Justin Timberlake?
Personally I think the guy is bland and not “all that”.

Sharing an Ani Difranco quote from “Fuel”…

“except all the radios agree with all the tvs
and all the magazines agree with all the radios
and i keep hearing that same damn song everywhere i go
maybe i should put a bucket over my head
and a marshmallow in each ear
and stumble around for
another dumb-numb week for another hum drum hit song to
appear

people used to make records
as in a record of an event
the event of people playing music in a room
now everything is cross-marketing
its about sunglasses and shoes
or guns and drugs
you choose
we got it rehashed
we got it half-assed
we're digging up all the graves
and we're spitting on the past”

Christy Forrester said...

Mind if I link to your site?

Anthony said...

Go right ahead! Can't have too many friends.

Pam said...

OK, I have to admit I watched the opener with Sting and the Police, but turned it off after that. I'm not a fan of award shows either, but I don't have a 35 year old grudge. I just find them to be very boring.

Sting (unlike Justin Timberlake) IS "all that" ;-).

Sparky Duck said...

Pam's right, beyond the Dixie Chicks having there night and the Police reunion, it was quite boring.