Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Feeling a Little Gassy

As I have said here before, it is always the little things that get my sick mind working. While puttering around on the Internet before beginning my daily grind, I found a charming little story about the town of Novy Urengoi, in the Arctic, known as the "gas capital of Russia", which sits atop the second-largest natural gas field in the world.
The story went on to detail the struggles of the people who work there, in sub-zero temperatures and all, in the pursuit of a fossil fuel. Generally, it is the only business they have there, so it really isn't so much of a struggle as it is a way of life.

The last three paragraphs of the story got me going:

Nikolai Dubina, one of those early pioneers, admits that the main gas field's heyday is behind it, and now it produces half of what it did in the 1980s. Now, Gazprom is starting to turn its attention to elsewhere in Russia. But for the citizens of Novy Urengoi, 70 percent of whom depend on the gas giant, a future without gas is unthinkable; for the citizens of western Europe, who are on the receiving end of the pipeline, it's a similarly worrying prospect.

But that may be something for future generations to worry about. The Urengoi gas field may be 70 percent depleted. But that last 30 percent still holds several trillion cubic meters of the stuff. And other outlying sites may yet come through, keeping Novy Urengoi, the frontier town of the north, going for a few more decades.

"We have enough gas for our daughters and granddaughters," promises Mr. Dubina, "so stop worrying folks."

Sure, Nikolai, I'll stop worrying. After all, the world is only going to last another 100 years, right? As long as our grandchildren are taken care of, we can continue to use fossil fuels until our lungs fill with carbon monoxide and we are so warm that we have to cut the sleeves off our t-shirts.
As the article said, "let other generations worry about it". Meanwhile, we will keep buying giant vehicles to make next-door cigarette runs and build McMansion's that need two compressors to run the air-conditioning, and heater blowers the size of an SUV. That's great - it will be somebody else's problem.
People use the same thought pattern when they throw a cigarette butt out the window (of their giant SUV) or leave trash on the floor of a movie theater. "Let someone else clean it up." We are free to behave as we wish, so long as there is someone else around to pick up our trash. Why take responsibility for our actions when leaving them for someone else to clean up is so much easier?

What they are doing, in reality is condemning their grandchildren to a life of discontent and uncertainty. When their generation pumps that gas hole dry, the struggle will be theirs, because their ancestors did nothing to prepare them for life beyond anything that produces energy by burning something. As long as we don't have to worry about it now.

For all the fuss we make about educating our children and trying to make their lives better than ours, we do nothing to improve the bigger picture. You can say that the science behind global warming studies is fantasy, or that we are slowly becoming more energy efficient, but you cannot deny that we will eventually run out of natural gas and crude oil. It is inevitable.
Our grandchildren will have plenty of education and maybe even more money than us, but what they will be left with is a world where they will have to fight for space to move and air to breathe, while the animals with which they co-exist will similarly struggle to find a friendly environment.

I think we owe them more than that.

7 comments:

Pam said...

I often wonder if my decision to have children was the right one, considering the mess we are leaving for them and their children to clean up. There's islands disappearing for crissakes....oh hell, I'll just blog about it.

You might also like this post from island amazon. It says a lot about our throw-away culture and just how long we've had this attitude of leaving our mess for someone else to clean up.

supergirlest said...

i really think that the end of oil and natural gas is near. let me rephrase that to add the word affordable... the stuff is running out. and fast. i was reading that saudi arabia is pumping salt water in under the oil fields which can only signify one thing - they have far less then they claim to. scares the crap outta me. people are going to FREAK when they realie how much we rely on oil for EVERY aspect of life. there's a reason that natural gas prices have skyrocketed in recent years...

how dare we? seriously? who the hell gives us the right to think we can do whatever it is we please to the earth and her resources without any foresight to future generations? it is most evident here our little corner of the world - this nasty consumption at all costs that you describe above.

on that note - we're going to watch 'an inconvenient truth' as soon as will gets home. i can't believe i'm now just seeing it!

Candy Minx said...

Hi Anthony!

This was an absolutely fascinting post...I love how you got so inspired by an article and whewre you took it to...

Very tough uestions. I don't understand the obsession with driving. Especially in an urban environment when buses and taxis are so available!

People are strange...I have a feeling no matter how we legislate or make mandates, the changes we need will have to be more personal or spiritual...a kind of responsibility and down playing our desires. Also, nature has a way of natural selection that we can't really "intellectualize"...it may be the changes to keep living will just happen and overwhelm us...rather than be legislated.

Did you see Gov't Mule last month on tour? My bouyfriend saw them here in Chicago...said tit was awesome show!

I hope all your dreams and wishes come true in 2007, all the best to you and yours,
Cheers
Candy

Anonymous said...

Great post!!! Again. This is the written reminder of that musical reminder "In the Year 2525" - just stunning how we can be so focused on today. And the hell with tomorrow.

Anthony said...

candy: I saw the Mule in Philly at the Tower Theater last month. If I was making the same Thursday Thirteen list of my favorite concerts, it would be top 5. An awesome night.

Hill: Indeed. "If man is still alive, if woman can survive - they may find..." A classic. Zager & Evans.
I'll take Obscure Songs of the Sixties for 200, Alex.

kara: All the stuff made from oil would make for an interesting blog post. I'm sure there's a list somewhere. Maybe here, soon!

supergirlest said...

at your service! ;)
http://always-a-musing.blogspot.com/2006/07/oil-beyond-gasoline.html

Ladyred said...

You really touch on things I just couldn't find the words for that I've been thinking about for a while. I just came back from Australia and I must say, I really liked it there so much that I may swing my job search net internationally when (if) I finish my education. Sydney and Melbourne appear much cleaner cities to me. They don't have trash collecting in gutters (in most parts) and I can't explain it but even the buildings were cleaner, outside and in. At a cafe some woman through her ciggy butt on the ground when a woman walking the other way challenged her. Pointing to the butt on the ground she said to the woman, "That doesnt' belong there! PIck that up and throw it away." Now can you imagine someone doing that here? THe lady picked it up, but I think she threw it on the ground on the other side of the cafe. They also have 5 different modes of transportation and all of which I used (excluding cars). I gladly used the subway and train and bus system, but I don't use it here at all, rarely in other cities in the US. I hate to even think that but honestly, we are taking the Earth for granted, and one day, she will have her revenge. I'm really saddened by the laziness and lack of responsibility many people take for themselves and their actions. I see people throw their entire bags of fast food out the window. Now why? Is it that hard to keep it in the car until you get home and or someplace where there's a trash can? Sickening. I think I've rambled.....

Happy Holidays....