Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tomorrow, the fun begins ... kind of.

My shallow and meaningless life takes on a renewed sense of purpose starting Thursday. The girls are playing golf again. That means that (a) the Daytona 500 is also coming (b) pitchers and catchers are reporting to spring training soon and (c) the air around here is getting warm enough for my pansy-ass to get outside and start moving around in the fresh air. When I mention either the LPGA or NASCAR (in capital letters) I usually get that eye-roll and the "you like NASCAR?" questions, as though it's impossible to like watching cars racing in a circle really fast.
For the record (if you care) my favorite NASCAR driver is Tony Stewart. I admire a lot about him, but mostly I admire the way he speaks his mind and the way he gets assed-up over stuff that happens on the track and isn't afraid to let the other drivers know it. It's also cool that many people who follow NASCAR hate his guts. That makes me a bigger fan, because I can annoy other people. Now that he's not driving for Home Depot any longer, I am now free to shop at Lowe's. However, he's now driving for Office Depot and Old Spice. I have a Staples store nearby and I don't wear pimpy cologne.
Of course, you know who my favorite golfer is - unless you haven't been reading my blog very long. Paula Creamer is everything an athlete should be. Talented, smart, funny and a hottie. The thing I like about the LPGA is that, if you are a fan of a particular player, there's a pretty good chance that you can meet her at a tournament. Just go on a practice round day and they're all out roaming around, socializing. You have to appreciate the game to get any jollies out of it, but the fan interaction is a very cool part of what the LPGA does. I've been fortunate enough to have met her, Sandra Gal and Natalie Gulbis - three talented hotties - and three nicer people you won't meet.
This year, I'll be back at Bulle Rock in June for the final McDonald's tournament and in Bethlehem, PA for the U.S. Open in July. Two weeks off work and girls playing golf. Can life get any better? I submit that it cannot.
For those of you who may be curious, I reneged on going to the viewing last night. In the end, I decided that I am an adult, and that gives me the right to do what I want (within reason) and the fact that I feel uncomfortable in the situation makes me realize that I shouldn't place myself in positions that I do not wish to be placed in. There may be a minor amount of guff I'll have to endure at work today, but this too shall pass.
The deal I'll make is that they won't be obligated to come to my ... oh ... I won't be around for it, so who gives a fuck? Do what you want.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

"three talented hotties"

why couldn't you just leave it at talented ladies? fire is rubbing off on you it seems and vice versa with his made wiki skills.

whatever.

and if you kicked it, i would totally come to your wake. no worries though, i wouldn't bring my camera. unless i get my holga figured out then i'm not gonna hold myself to all that cause i know you totally would want that.

susan said...

Golf is nice, and as for Nascar, I heard it't better in person than it is on TV.

2 weeks of women playing golf, nice but I will stick with the guys. But Anthony- 2 weeks away from Kitty?
That doesn't sound nice....