Sunday, February 8, 2009

How can he tie music into prescription drugs? Simply.

The Grammy awards are being given out tonight. I think I've expressed my opinion on this before, (see Grammys Schmammys) but it bears repeating. The Grammy's are a sham of a fraud. I've managed to distance myself from popular music over the past few years, so I couldn't tell you the relevance of who is nominated this year, but I can tell you that I have no doubt that the nominees don't represent the best music of the past year. That's experience talking.
Just like parking lots are never replaced by parks, so are the Grammy awards never going to be about the best music. One of the many things that bothers me about it is the way music is categorized. Alternative, pop, rap ... I hate categories. Doctors do not, however ...
WASHINGTON – Two drugmakers spent hundreds of millions of dollars last year to raise awareness of a murky illness, helping boost sales of pills recently approved as treatments and drowning out unresolved questions — including whether it's a real disease at all. Key components of the industry-funded buzz over the pain-and-fatigue ailment fibromyalgia are grants - more than $6 million donated by drugmakers Eli Lilly and Pfizer in the first three quarters of 2008 - to nonprofit groups for medical conferences and educational campaigns, an Associated Press analysis found.
Proving (at least for now) what I've always thought and said about drugs that are marketed to treat made-up diseases or conditions that aren't really diseases, like peeing too much or leg pain.
Many doctors and patients say the drugmakers are educating the medical establishment about a misunderstood illness, much as they did with depression in the 1980s. Those with fibromyalgia have often had to fight perceptions that they are hypochondriacs, or even faking their pain.
But critics say the companies are hyping fibromyalgia along with their treatments, and that the grantmaking is a textbook example of how drugmakers unduly influence doctors and patients
Ask your doctor, they tell us. Sure.
But some say the grants' influence goes much further than dollar figures suggest. Such efforts steer attention to diseases, influencing patients and doctors and making diagnosis more frequent, they say. "The underlying purpose here is really marketing, and they do that by sponsoring symposia and hiring physicians to give lectures and prepare materials," said Wolfe, who directs the National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases in Wichita, Kansas. Similar criticisms have dogged drugmakers' marketing of medicines for overactive bladder and restless legs syndrome.
Many of the grants go to educational programs for doctors that feature seminars on the latest treatments and discoveries.
I told you! Now, maybe you'll listen when I rant. It's all about marketing, which explains those commercials. Overactive bladder, my ass. They tell us to drink 64 ounces of water a day because it's "good for us" then market a drug that keeps us from peeing. See?
After 30 years of studying the ailment, rheumatologist Dr. Don Goldenberg says fibromyalgia is still a "murky area."
"Doctors need labels and patients need labels," said Goldenberg, a professor of medicine at Tufts University. "In general, it's just more satisfying to tell people, 'You have X,' rather than, 'You have pain.'"
While Goldenberg continues to diagnose patients with fibromyalgia, some of his colleagues have stopped, saying the condition is a catchall covering a range of symptoms. Dr. Nortin Hadler says telling people they have fibromyalgia can actually doom them to a life of suffering by reinforcing the idea that they have an incurable disease.
Doom them to a life of suffering ... and a life of taking prescription drugs. Wake up, people.
Fibromyalgia. It even sounds made up. Because it is. The fact that it doesn't show up in my spell-check should be all you need to know.

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

I'm still trying to figure out how you went from the Grammy's and music to Fibromyalgia. I know several people with it and it's debilitating for some. My understanding is like it's a horrible case of body ache. The same kind of ache you get with the flu. One day is okay, the next not so much. All auto immune diseases are "murky areas". I have Sarcoidosis and RA...somedays I can deal, other days not so much. I don't take any medicine for either ailment because the side effects of prednisone or methotrexate scare me more than the pain some days.

I forgot the Grammy's were on tonight. I most likely won't watch cause I can only deal with some many rappers hopping across stage.

Anthony said...

It's all about categorizing things. Music, diseases ... we need a category and something to tell people. I have [insert disease] and generally it's something that didn't exist 20 years ago - before big corporate drug companies made millions marketing drugs to people who are told that they need them.

My personal belief is that ones lifestyle contributes to these so-called "diseases" and that the drug companies capatilize on us by making up a name and telling us that we need their treatment in order to live a normal life. Mostly, we have control over our own life and the drugs are an easy way out.
We criticize heroin addicts and alcoholics, but sometimes people who take prescription medication for a "disease" that they can control on their own are no more screwed up than the addicts.

susan said...

Amen, Amen, Amen.

You and kitty both get scritches today.

kimmyk said...

I agree to an extent with you Anthony. On the other hand since I see patients all day...I see both sides. People who are predisposed to health conditions such as Type II diabetes or heart disease that's hereditary a lot of the time...we need those drugs.

Same with anti depressants and anxiety medicines. Those people 20 years ago...had no control over their lives, today they can have some sort of normalcy by taking a medication even if it labels them manic or whatever that label may be. They'll gladly take their medications so they don't live within the personal hell that's created within their minds.

I agree that drug companies and their pushing of medications is a multi billion dollar industry, but I also see the benefits. Look at those living with HIV/AIDS now. 20 years ago---not happening.

I for one am thankful for the medications that are out there for patients...it makes their quality of life a little bit better.

Actually Anthony...(LOL) I take it back, I don't agree with you on this one.