Monday, February 16, 2009

A taxing day off.

To celebrate President's Day, I parted with a few. Dead ones, that is.
The day started with a lovely trip to my 800th favorite place, the dentist's office. A while ago, I broke one of my filling-laden back teeth, so a crown was in order. I have dental insurance, but it's calculated on 1985 dollars, so the $1,000 benefit lasts long enough to get me into the chair. After that, it's on me. The crown and a small filling in the tooth next to it are going to cost me 700 Franklin's. I know Ben was never president - don't ruin the theme, OK?
Next, with a sore jaw that was losing ground to the rapidly fading numbness, I decided to do my taxes. After all, what follows a dental visit better than a tax form?
I use Turbo Tax, and up to today, it's been very reliable. When I got to the end of the line and it told me that I owed $4,200 I started to think that its reliability had run its course. I thought I had entered some numbers wrong or missed a deduction, so I went through it again and came out with the same horrible number. Last year, I paid $40, and with only a slight increase in my salary and some different deductions, I couldn't justify the extra 40 Franklin's.
I tried H & R Block's online prep service, and came up with a Federal tax bill of $741. Better, but still a little shocking for someone who isn't used to paying taxes or has a readily available stash of $741.
I was still shaking from the initial $4,200 and developing a headache on top of the now swollen jaw and sore mouth. The day was shaping up nicely and it was barely noon. I saved the tax return and I'll come back on April 14. With the accompanying $150 state refund (they call it a refund, but it's really an overpayment - but let's not mince words) I still owed a net of $588 - or five Franklin's, 8 Hamilton's and 8 Lincoln's. I know, Hamilton was never president either. He was Secretary of the Treasury. Give me a break, I'm in pain.
There aren't many days where I can say I'd have been happier to go to work, but this was certainly one of them. Next, I have to get my car inspected. I can hardly wait.
Get ready, Grover Cleveland. Here comes my car.

3 comments:

Kate Michele said...

What a Monday babe :(
money stresses me out like none other, I've had breakdowns on the phone playing the go between with CHildren's Hospital and BCMH. They talk about my account like its just numbers and I always have a panic attack lol
hang in there
xoxoxox

kimmyk said...

My lil refund is gone already.
But my city income tax is going to screw me. Hard too. I work in a suburb of Columbus, live in another and at times travel into the city to work at a different clinic...only taxes for one city is taken out...so I have to pay taxes for the other two. It's mind boggling how much it costs me to drive on their roadways or whatever. I can't talk about it anymore...makin my jaw hurt and my head hurt and I haven't even seen the dentist. By the way....totally hate the dentist and his whirrr whirrr drill. *CRINGE!!!!*

Anthony said...

I haven't officially ruled out cheating.