Sunday, February 15, 2009

The blog is on autopilot too.

BUFFALO, N.Y. – The commuter plane that crashed near Buffalo was on autopilot until just before it went down in icy weather, indicating that the pilot may have violated federal safety recommendations and the airline's own policy for flying in such conditions, an investigator said Sunday. Federal guidelines and the airline's own instructions suggest a pilot should not engage the autopilot when flying through ice. If the ice is severe, the company that operated Continental Flight 3407 requires pilots to shut off the autopilot.
So, I guess that balances out the whole Chesley Sullenburger deal? They aren't all superheroes.
I've gotten into a minor debate over on a friend's Facebook page over my dislike for LPGA golfer Michelle Wie. Since there are about seven people who care enough to fire back over an "I don't like Michelle Wie" comment, I found it odd that I stumbled on one on Facebook. Anyway, most of the reason I don't like her very much is because she has achieved a level of fame without doing anything to deserve it. She came out of the crowd as the Wunderkind of golf (like Anna Kornikova in tennis) and in spite of not winning or even making a decent amount of cuts (like Anna), she has become a star. So much so, that I remember on my last trip to Bulle Rock, a horde of followers when she was 8-over par. I just don't get it, and I find myself enjoying watching her lose, as I did on Saturday when Angela Stanford whupped her ass in Hawaii.
Speaking of Facebook, I'm not altogether sure I get it. I get a lot of friend requests from people I don't know. "[insert name] thinks you should add [insert name] as a friend" or something like that, appears on my page every day. Most of the time I don't know the person that somebody thinks should be my friend. I don't want ten thousand friends. I can barely keep track of the 29 that I have. I don't like clicking on ignore, but life is tough sometimes.
The Daytona 500 became the Daytona 380 due to rain. Race organizers figured they wouldn't be able to re-start the race until after 11:00pm, and that wouldn't be fair to spectators. Imagine, there's a professional sport that thinks about the spectators. If baseball commissioner Bud Selig was running NASCAR, he would have suspended the race until Tuesday or declared it a tie.
Come to think of it, maybe Bud Selig should be running NASCAR.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

I had Facebook last year and only used it to talk to FS5. He deleted it so I deleted it. I never used it for anything else. Now I have all these people around me asking "Do you have Facebook?" "Do you have Facebook?" and I'm afraid that if I reactivated it, people from all over would find me. I don't think I want that.

Kate Michele said...

you have 29 friends?! i think you have more than me :( wtf? we were suppose to be loners together babe!! ::-P

xoxox