Friday, February 20, 2009

Defending my life.

It's still cold and windy here, but the telltale signs of spring are in the air - somewhere. In Florida, pitchers and catchers (the baseball kind) have reported to spring training and the first exhibition games are only a week away. That's good news for those of us in these cooler climates who are sick and tired (and tired always follows sick) of cold, blustery weather. I don't know where This Mighty Wind comes from, but it rattles the windows and generally makes me wish for spring.
Among other things, I've been told that I need to "get a life" by a pithy commenter from Texas over the past couple of days. I've often heard that phrase used to describe people but I've never exactly deemed its meaning. Mostly, I think it's a defense mechanism for people who feel as though they have to build up their mundane existence with a ten-cent cliche designed to make themselves feel superior. In fact, as Lenny said, "We're all the same schmuck." Look around, if you don't believe it.
As you can tell from the profile photo (right) I'm a Phillies fan. Until last year, that meant defending a team that was a perennial loser. My friend and I (yes, I have a friend) have a 17-game ticket plan with the Phils and we've been going to games together for 5 years. He's more of a "fan" than I. He takes the games personally, while I view them as entertainment, like a film or TV show - which they are sometimes. We drew the lucky straw and got tickets to the home opener on April 5. I say lucky because I don't know yet whether it will be more comfortable to be at home watching on TV or at the ballpark. April is funny around here. Funny strange, not funny ha-ha.
On Saturday (today, if you're reading on Saturday) I'll be hitting a few choice Philadelphia beer joints with some bicycling friends on what we're calling "Bike Beer Tribute Night" or something like that. The first stop is the popular Monk's Tavern (photo above) and after that, it's anyone's guess as to where our wobbly asses will wind up.
On March 4, one of my favorite musicians, Hilary Hahn is playing the violin at our Kimmel Center. I haven't bought a ticket yet, and I'll need some prodding to make the effort. Chances are, if I don't go I'll regret it later. She's a hometown girl and a graduate of the Curtis School of Music, which places her above ninety percent of the musicians on the planet. I'll probably go.
There will be a few weeks of calm and quiet contemplation before a mystical visitor from the west comes eastward for a few short days. We'll go see Fleetwood Mac (me for the second time, her for the first) and Greg Fitzsimmons at Helium. I think we're also going to do one of those Handsome Cab rides. I've always wanted to, but it looks kind of queer to do it myself. There's a need to grasp this opportunity, methinks.
I think that's a little too much personal exposure.

3 comments:

Kate Michele said...

I'm not a big baseball fan however I AM a huge spring fan...so bring on the baseball!!!

Wow. This mystical visitor from the west sounds intriguing and very lucky I might add. I love fleetwood mac. And the handsome cab ride sounds like something out of a movie! What a lucky mystical visitor she is.

Xoxoxo

susan said...

Anthony,

When in Philly take mystical guest to Geno's.

Yum, Yum,

Synchronicity said...

Hello...Just came over from Susan's blog. I will have to come and read more of you.