Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Just thinking ...

If I could choose one person to sit down with and have a drink and discuss the evolution of music and its effect on society, I would choose David Bowie. I have so much more respect for him now than I did when he was popular. Maybe it's because I lived through his popularity and never really understood it until I was able to look back on it, but now I view him as an elder statesman of popular music and someone who has come to represent an era of music. He successfully changed with the times and marketed himself as a musical icon. Otherwise, it would be Peter Gabriel, but he's in a different genre than Bowie. Bowie, I'd talk to for hours about the 70s and how it changed the face of music. Gabriel, I think I would be more focused on "what were you thinking?" and how Genesis changed the art music scene. It's history versus personal perspective.
Who would you choose?

5 comments:

kimmyk said...

if i could sit down with someone from the music industry i'd choose several people.

elton john for one. love him.
michael jackson. although i dont love him i'd still like to hear what he thinks about music.

another one i'd have to say i'd love to sit down with would be boy george.

i've never listened to bowie. so i can't comment on his music. he does have good taste in women though.

kimmyk said...

you know who else would have been a good one anthony?

johnny cash.

kimmyk said...

i know i'm clogging up your comments, but didja see this??? I thought of you with number 5.

10 Things to Scratch From Your Worry List (Yahoo today)


5. Evil plastic bags. Take it from the Environmental Protection Agency : paper bags are not better for the environment than plastic bags. If anything, the evidence from life-cycle analyses favors plastic bags. They require much less energy — and greenhouse emissions — to manufacture, ship and recycle. They generate less air and water pollution. And they take up much less space in landfills.

Kate Michele said...

Love Bowie.

love

Anthony said...

They might take up less space, but they don't biodegrade in the landfill like paper does.

My opposition is to throw-away bags of all sorts, paper or plastic. We're slaves to them and often carry items from the store THAT HAVE HANDLES OR ARE IN A BAG ALREADY in another bag.

It's Pavlov's Cashier that automatically gives us a bag and most people just take them.

As for the Yahoo article, I think it's debatable. Paper is made by cutting down trees. Plastic bags are made with petroleum, so they aren't any good for us either.