Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The things that pass for mild excitement in my world.

I had a dentist appointment on Monday. There was no drilling, only the scraping and scratching of the metal pointy thing and some low-level radiation from some X-rays.
I decided to walk, since his office is only a quarter mile from my place and the weather was unseasonably warm. Thanks, Al Gore!
On my way home, I noticed this silver shiny object on the street in front of me. Not being one to be embarrassed by picking up trash on the street, I bent over and grabbed it. Sure enough, it's a $50 debit card made out to ALL-ACCESS CUSTOMER. Since I don't know Mr. Customer, I decided to check the web site on the back of the card to see if the fifty bucks was still valid.
The card was scratched and probably run over by a few cars and trucks, but hey, it's fifty bucks, right? Kinda.
I checked the debit card's web site and punched in the number, and it showed a "pending transaction" for a sports gambling site, where our Mr. Customer placed a bet on Sunday, probably on one of the NFL playoff games. The card was purchased on Saturday from a local convenience store.
Since I'm always trying to figure out the scams, I guessed that the guy (it's a guy, right?) bought the card with cash because (a) he doesn't know a bookie and (b) he doesn't want his wife to know he bets on the Internet. Then, in a half-assed attempt to destroy the evidence, he flung the card out the window of his car on his way to work on Monday. If he used his card, she would see the bill and wonder what that web site was all about. She pays the bills too.
I'm figuring he bet on the Titans.

1 comment:

annabkrr said...

I didn't even know you could bet online??? WTF? I'm so stingy (and poor) to gamble.

Are you an investigative reporter by the way? Or a private detective? You should be!!!