Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A little personal insight

I found out something odd about myself while watching No Country for Old Men last night.
The key scene in the film is when Josh Brolin’s character finds a case full of money that is leftover from a drug deal gone haywire. He takes the entire case with him and spends most of the rest of the movie running from its owner.
What I found out was that if I was in a similar situation, I wouldn’t take the case, but I would grab a half dozen or so packs of $100 bills and stuff them in my pants, then run like Hell. My thinking is, it’s found money (literally) and the owner won’t be pissed enough about a hundred thousand dollars when he still managed to retrieve the other 98% of it. Plus, I don’t have to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder. It’s a win-win.
Maybe I’m not greedy enough or I lack the desire to have too much – whatever it is – I don’t expect to garner much empathy on this one. After all, who would turn down millions in exchange for a couple hundred thousand? I would, if the risk over the millions complicated my life to the point that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it by … say … dying. Being killed would ruin the whole experience, I think.
Oh … and I'd take a couple of bricks of whatever was in the bed of that pickup truck. I can be risk-free and stoned.

As far as the film goes, I highly recommend it. It’s a pure Coen brothers enterprise. Full of sparse scenery (think Fargo set in Texas and filmed in New Mexico), lots of snappy western-style dialogue which (if you read the book) I hear is lifted practically word for word. Tommy Lee Jones is great (as usual) but Woody Harrelson I could live without. It is violent and graphic in parts. If you need fully resolved endings, you will be sorely disappointed, however. This one leaves you with more questions than answers, but isn’t life like that, too?

“You can't stop what's comin'. It ain't all waitin' on you. That's vanity.”
- Ellis Bell “No Country for Old Men”

2 comments:

Kate Michele said...

It might not all be waiting on me but i'm sure as hell waiting on it. :D

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I'd probably not take any money but I'm paranoid like that.

I'm with your, however, on taking a brick of whatever was in the truck.