Saturday, June 30, 2007

Readership drops on the weekends, so ...

... I'll just rant to myself until I disappear into my own mouthhole.

Michelle Wie withdrew from the U.S. Open on Saturday. Perhaps it's time for Michelle to take some time and be a kid, let this wrist heal and stop drawing so much attention to herself. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Meanwhile, weather issues are making it difficult to enjoy either Wimbledon or the U.S. Open. They have both been delayed by rain and lightning. NBC did its best in an exacta of rain-soaked sporting events on Saturday. They had rain-delay coverage of Wimbledon, when Venus Williams' match was interrupted, then had to show taped coverage of the rain-delayed second round of the Open. Confused? Me too.

I'm not big on taped coverage of anything, and I didn't perk up until around 4pm when the third round started and they ran live coverage of the first few holes. Sadly, they had to stop at 6 so that the local news could saturate us with more iPhone stories. The local NBC weather guy had one that he waved in the face of the anchor, and handed it to her. I wish she would have thrown it into the fake city skyline behind her, but instead she gushed over it and smiled politely. I guess she needs her job.

Sunday's forecast for Southern Pines, North Carolina is for more thundershowers, so perhaps the final round will have to wait until Monday. Christie Kerr made a non-televised run today, and she's one shot off the lead held by Jayai Shin, who will undoubtedly crack under the pressure. Go get 'em, Christie. Paula Creamer is 9 shots off the lead, tied for 27th. Suzann Pettersen appears to be in line to miss the cut, in spite of her interesting method of lining up a putt...

While watching the Weather Channel [geek], I saw that Possum Kingdom lake in Texas has flooded. Up until about 3 hours ago, I thought Possum Kingdom was just a really good song by The Toadies. If you don't know the song, it's here - and it may be the best song ever written with such an odd time signature. It's either a measure of 7 followed by a measure of 8 or one measure of 15. You figure it out. I know I could kick ass on it if I had Guitar Hero 2. So there, you learned something. Thanks for stopping by.

Mika Brzezinski - American Hero

Mika Brzezinski tore her script to pieces on the air and then put another one through a shredder Friday morning when she was asked by her editors on MSNBC cable channel to lead the newscast with an item about Paris Hilton, arguing that she was fed up with the attention given to the heiress. "Listen, I just don't believe in covering that story, especially not as the lead story in a newscast when you have a day like today," Brzezinski said on the air.

I'm not sure what she meant by "a day like today." Maybe she was talking about the iPhone. Can we get her to put one of those through a shredder? Anyway, watch this clip. If I was her, I would have walked off the set.


5 comments:

rattln along said...

Did you notice that they still spent that entire time talking about Paris Hilton and SHOWED a clip.

Wow

Anthony said...

Yes, it's a strange clip. I wasn't sure if it was a "bit" or what, since I don't watch the show. My take is that ...

...Mika was serious about how fed up she is over it, but the shredder and the tearing-up were for "show".

...The other two guys are merely busting her chops for fun.

...The whole thing is a nice ratings grab, although I couldn't tell you when the program is on.

The look on her face when they come back from the Paris clip is priceless.

Sparky Duck said...

I know you were not an Imus fan, but it strikes me as Imus like. At first it was not a bit, she was sick of the story, and then later it became a bit because she is capable enough of a broadcaster to just skip the lead without mentioning it.

But it did make me laugh and I will be watching more joe now.

bananas62 said...

I'm with Mika! WTF has Paris done for us, as a nation... o.k other than give us a good chuckle and be glad my daughters are nothing like her.... I did catch some of the interview on larry King... girl would never look the guy in the eye, now even in Psyh 101 they told us that this person was lying through their teeth! jeez!

Kate Michele said...

GOOD FOR HER.

Could've been a little less showy though.