Monday, April 9, 2007

Todd is God

Sunday was consumed with bad baseball (the Phillies) and a golf tournament ("I spent 4 days in Augusta, and all I got was this lousy green jacket") where the guy who wins receives an article of clothing so hideous that it could only be either worn on a golf course or given as a prize. Who's gonna complain about a bright green jacket in the midst of all that?

As faithful readers know, I am music starved. So much so, that I have taken to browsing the Real Player site for new and interesting downloads. My thoughts turned to comedy, and in my music starved state, I came up with the name Todd Barry. Todd's a funny guy, and a bit different than most of the comics working now. I saw him in New York in 2004 at a show that Mother Jones put on with Jeneane Garofolo, Will Durst and lots of other comics. Somehow, I wound up in the front row. If you are of a mind to, pick up Todd's Medium Energy CD.
Anyway, I pulled up Todd's listings on the Real Player store. Among them is one called Invite Them Up. I hadn't heard of that one. Could Todd have a new CD? As it turned out, the listing was full of issues.
First, as you can see, it clearly says that Todd Barry appears on Invite Them Up. Oh, so it's not a Todd Barry CD, it's a Todd Barry appears on CD. So, which tracks does Todd appear on? I don't know, because as you can see, every track on the CD is Invite Them Up. Either it's the same joke over and over, or Todd is out of comedy ideas. Either way, I realize that there are 5 more tracks on the CD. Could they also be called Invite Them Up? There's only one way to find out. I clicked on Next 5, and ...
You bet. It's not a great marketing tool, gang.

So [PLAN B] I downloaded Falling Off the Bone, even though I think the CD comes with a video or something, so a little part of me feels like I got hosed. At least the tracks had different names. It's easier to separate them on the iPod that way.
Moreover, it's a small victory over the popular crowd. Real Player's Top 25 is dominated by those Blue Collar guys [how did Ron White get mixed up with them?] and Dane Cook [a.k.a. Mr. MySpace 50,000 friends]. As it is with music, there is generally better stuff as you dig a bit further.

Todd Barry, Maria Bamford, Doug Stanhope, Mike Birbiglia, Patton Oswalt, Jim Gaffigan, Brian Regan, Kathleen Madigan, Dom Irrera, Judy Gold ...

Keep digging.
.

1 comment:

Sparky Duck said...

the blue collar guys are just funny when drunk.

If you wanna see a hideous prize, look up what the winner gets at this weeks Heritage tournament. Now thats hideous.