Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Got Change for a Million?

NEW YORK - Financial guru and best-selling author Suze Orman says she wishes she could marry her partner Kathy Travis, partly because it would save them both a lot of money.

"Both of us have millions of dollars in our name," she told The New York Times Magazine in its Feb. 25 edition. "It's killing me that upon death, K.T. is going to lose 50 percent of everything I have to estate taxes. Or vice versa."

In a wide-ranging interview, the host of CNBC's "The Suze Orman Show" talked about her seven-year relationship with Travis and her personal finances. With a liquid net worth of about $25 million and real estate holdings of $7 million, Orman said she enjoys spending money and playing the stock market. She said she has about a million dollars in the market, "because if I lose a million dollars, I don't personally care."

Cool. Allow us to harken back to Sunday's post for a little perspective.

Meanwhile, here's a woman who gives out financial advice on the TV and in book form. Can you really trust your finances to someone who is so out of touch that she doesn't care about a million dollars? Her attitude kind of goofs with the whole "fiscally responsible" deal, doesn't it? Do I really want someone with such a cavalier attitude about her own money in charge of mine?

And, while we're at it ... where does love fall in the balance sheet of Suze's issues? People all over the country have been fighting for the right to marry the person they love in some form of civil union or another, and this one wants to get married so she won't lose half of what she has in estate taxes. How lucky for them that they found someone to love - who also happens to be in their tax bracket. Oooh ... the goose pimples. Well, as long as you have your priorities straight ... so to speak.

Besides, if you're dead, you'll lose half your fortune to estate taxes and you won't personally care. Because you'll be dead.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that looks so bad on her to be that blase. Must be nice to be swimming in millions and not care about a million here or there. Celebrity does get the better of their judgment eventually with these TV fixtures.

kimmyk said...

Wow.

She's not one I would listen to. I just heard the other day she was gay-I didn't know that. But honestly, I didn't know who she was. I've never seen her before.

Sparky Duck said...

a former co-worker said she was a no talent hack. Of course, he was a slick shady snake oil, er investment guy, which made her grow some in my book

Me said...

Well, really, what's a mil here, a mil there. She's talking about lifetime wages for the common person.
Prick. Female prick.

Kate Michele said...

This is the junk that makes my blood boil and frankly whats wrong with America..... Its not ver 'politically correct' for her to be spoutin off about her millions when so many are struggling to put food on the table....

I've seen her....i've heard of her and even before this the things she has told others pisses me off...

Bitch.

Ok I digress or else I'd be here all day.

Ladyred said...

I see many folks here (and there) like me asking "WTF is wrong with America?" WTF is wrong is there are not enough of us out there to make changes. TOo many out there who only care about making that millions of dollars and blowing it on whatever they can BECAUSE they can. too many that want to keep up with the Joneses. Too many who only care about themselves... Grrrr.