Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Crap

Q: Can you use isthmus in a sentence?
A: Isthmus be my lucky day.

Oh Luck, where is thy sting? Just like Brophy in High Anxiety, I run around all day yelling, "I got it! I got it! I got it! ... I ain't got it."

Chrysler workers got the lucky sting today...

DETROIT - Chrysler Group will offer all 49,600 hourly workers in the U.S. up to $100,000 to leave the company as part of a recovery plan announced earlier this month. The company, which lost $1.475 billion in 2006 and said it expects losses to continue through 2007, said on Feb. 14 it intends to shed 13,000 jobs, including 11,000 hourly positions and 2,000 salaried, as it tries to further shrink itself to match reduced demand for its products.

That's interesting. Every worker gets up to $100,000. Great. Meanwhile, the CEO and his corner-office pals who were chiefly responsible for the bad product decisions and shabby marketing will probably get severances that are two hundred times that much.

When times are good, the CEO Club pats themselves on the back and congratulates themselves for a job well done by awarding themselves generous bonuses, stock options and miscellaneous perks.

When times are bad, however, nor do they suffer or strife. They get even bigger bonuses to leave the company than they did when they were doing well. It's a pooch that can't be screwed. Imagine having a job where you are rewarded for both failure and success. Some luck, eh boys?

Meanwhile...

I opened my e-mail yesterday, and immediately thought I had won some sort of contest. But, alas it was just another false alarm. There it was, under the subject line:

For Tuesday: F**K

F**king cool, I thought. Was this some sort of Internet Fortune Cookie? If so, call me Hop Sing and lead me to the door. I'm not doing anything on Tuesday, and I could use a good F**K. It was only after looking at the From part, that I saw that it was from Netflix Shipping, telling me that my documentary movie was on its way, and would arrive on Tuesday. Perhaps, title-wise it was not the best choice for my initial exposure to the system.

That's right ... Mister Movie joined a video rental service. Not leaving my house represented a huge part of the equation.
Anyway, the box says, it's "Profound and Joyously Silly." Whatever. At this point, I'd settle for $100,000 and a B*****B.

5 comments:

Katie McKenna said...

The numbers of unemployment keep on rising. In a city like Detroit, life is tough enough. One has to stop and reflect on what this really means, where are we going as a nation...
What can be done... Some of my relatives live in MI and there are not enough jobs anywhere in that State.

Me said...

Yeah, we all could use a good F**K, yes?
Too bad the Chrysler workers get theirs without the courtesy of a wrap-around.

Anonymous said...

Well, Suzy Orman is practically giving money away so you could try sobbing on her shoulder...if you're convincing it's got to be worth at least a $100 bucks...now that's a 'profound and joyously silly' idea, isn't it?

Anthony said...

Wind: That might be fun, but I don't think I'm Suze's type. :)

supergirlest said...

detroit was hands down the saddest feeling place that i've ever visited. - i don't even know how to explain it - it just was.

i can think of another job where one gets rewarded whether they fail or succeed - politicians. i never have understood how bush still kept his job after 9/1/1. i mean, as a bartender, if one of my over/undersights had missed something that resulted in that level of death, you can bet yer sweet arse i woulda been fired on the spot.

as for your meanwhile - ROTFLMAOSIGDOTFAR!!!!!!!