Sunday, October 1, 2006

My Tube

YouTube is like a big candy store for media addicts. There's a mixed metaphor for you. Type in a name and you'll find a video. I don't know where it all comes from, but it's there for us. They enable my addiction by providing the material. So far, it's free, which makes it even better.

I was searching out a Lewis Black bit about candy corn for kimmyk, and ran across about a hundred Lewis Black rants on all sorts of things - advertising, Rick Santorum, traveling, video games, decency and even hot dogs and rollercoasters.

Then, I found a little snippet of an interview he did on CNN to promote his book. Toward the end, he bitches about something that I've been bitching about for years - the junk at the bottom of the screen. I vented about it way back on April 6.

To his credit, he yelled loud enough that they actually took it off.

It started (as he says) during the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. A quarter of the screen taken up by junk. Are we supposed to be reading, watching or listening? It's too much, and it needs to stop. Notice how the host of the show (whoever he is) just laughs and, in so many words, says that there isn't a chance in Hell that CNN is going to stop annoying us with a giant banner and a crawl at the bottom.

Write a letter, send an e-mail. Make it stop.
Maybe Lewis can help.



2 comments:

Carmen said...

I have a video on YouTube! It's a video from my Egypt trip, so you know. Maybe search for Carmen? Never tried it. :)

Anthony said...

Carmen: I looked, and searched lots of different combos, but came up empty.
You'd be surprised at (a) the number of vacation videos from Egypt and (b) the interesting answers one gets to the simple "Carmen" search.

I was pretty sure they were not you! :)