Monday, October 16, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

In honor of the beginning of my 50th year on this dying planet,
here are 49 things:


1 - By the time I'm 50 I hope to have a new job.
2 - If it is in my favorite city, I hope to move there and abandon my money-devouring vehicle in favor of public transit and my feet.
3 - I could take a year off and follow Gov't Mule around the country if I had the bucks.
4 - I have been weight-training and exercising for more than half my life. I hate to think I've wasted all that time.
5 - I've started to fear the day that I no longer have my 16-year old cat. He's a "senior" now, and I don't know how I'll deal with his ultimate passing.
6 - I'm not sure I like those artificial corks they're putting in wine bottles now.
7 - Among other things, the Australians make some damned good wine.
8 - My giant change jar is about two-thirds full.

9 - When I was nine, my father died.
10 - Don't wish that on any kid.
11 - I want one of those Dell Axim handheld PC's but I have no idea what I'd do with it.
12 - I have a box full of old cassette tapes that I need to transfer to CD.
13 - Herr's Kettle-Cooked Salt and Vinegar potato chips are the best snack food available in the world today.
14 - I have a box full of old VHS tapes that I need to transfer to DVD.
15 - Try Chipotle Ranch dressing on a ham sandwich.

16 - I have a box of old CDs that I need to transfer to mp3.
17 - I'm old enough to have gone through way too many music formats. I hope this digital thing is the last one, but I fear it is not.
18 - Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot beer is fantastic. True to its name, it is 13.5% alcohol.
19 - Why do I have to pay for the Spanish channel and the shopping channels on my cable? I don't speak Spanish and I don't buy anything on TV.

20 - I really like those girls on the spanish channel.
21 - Can you believe there's a whole channel devoted to the weather?
22 - I kept all my college text books.
23 - Know anyone who needs some used college text books?

24 - I'd love to be able to afford to hire someone to come in and do my housework.
25 - When my soul needs soothing, I go to Washington and visit the East Building of the National Gallery of Art and the Hirshorn. I wish they were closer.
26 - I need to go soon.
27 - I don't like Monday Night Football on ESPN. It seems wrong, somehow.

28 - I don't like that Pardon the Interuption show, either. Michael Wilbon is a jackass who hates Philadelphia, and the other guy is a JBA - Jackass by Association.
29 - I just bought a digital camera. The last person in America, seemingly.
30 - I'm getting tired of Deal or No Deal faster than I got tired of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
31 - Maybe one of the reasons I dislike George W. Bush so much is that I haven't had any since he has been president.
32 - I have also never had coffee.

33 - My Name is Earl is the best show on TV, but hardly anyone I know watches.
34 - Making up a list like Earl's would make a good Thursday Thirteen.
35 - There may be a few other reasons I dislike George W. Bush
36 - I took 4 of the photos on this post.

37 - I find it amazing that TV can advertise online gambling but not cigarettes.
38 - The Class is a very good show. It's very funny and has at least one hot babe. Monday on CBS.
39 - I think it's funny the way TV promotes Patricia Heaton as a "regular mom" who shops at Acme. She's really cool and everything, but I bet she hasn't been in a supermarket in 10 years. Do they think we're that stupid?
40 - I see bigger and bigger homes being built every day, and the storage facilities proliferate. How much stuff can people have that they can't fit it in their huge homes?

41 - I'm starting to get irritated at TV ads for state lotteries.
42 - I'm thinking about going to grad school. I should lie down until the feeling passes.
43 - I haven't had a real vacation since 1998, when I spent two weeks crusing the desert southwest.
44 - If I were younger, this list would be shorter.
45 - I'm 49, but I feel like I'm 30.
46 - When I was 30 I felt like I was 21.
47 - I don't remember how I felt when I was 5.
48 - Although, I remember hating to go to school and my mother tells me I couldn't wait to go.

49 - Next year, I hope I have something really good to put up for number 50.

10 comments:

Kate Michele said...

#'s 31 and 44 actually made me laugh out loud so hard that CHad came to see if I was alright!!

Good Post Anthony!! And Happy birthday!!

Anthony said...

Thanks, Katie.

I hope that next year I can eliminate #31, but I fear I will never be able to eliminate #44.

msliberty said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Anthony...
Happy Birthday to YOU!

Pam said...

Happy Birthday!! May you have many, many more!

I sent a little something via e-mail ;-).

Carmen said...

happy birthday to ewe
happy birthday to ewe
happy birthday dear anthony
happy birthday to ewe!

supergirlest said...

HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY ANTHONY!!!!! FELIZ CUMPLEANOS!!!!! JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE!!!!

and long live the gato!

whatcha gonna do in celebration?

Pam said...

Guess who ate some salt & vinegar potato chips today (this post induced a major craving)? Trans fat be damned!!

Chuck said...

I'm late & we haven't met, but I'm 49 and this entry caught my eye. :)

So, Happy Birthday!

Great post & great blog. I found you by way of Pam's blog, btw.

Irish Church Lady :) said...

I enjoyed reading your list. Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Mine was this week too!

I've seen the show the class and thought it was pretty funny too.

Hey do you watch THE Office right after 'Earl'? Come an' see my Friday blogs...lmao.

Professor Zero said...

Nice list, happy birthday, I'm also 49...