Monday, September 4, 2006

Crikey!

I could never watch this guy on TV because he irritated me so. Generally, he made a living bothering animals and proclaiming, "He don't like that a bit" in his Australian accent.
BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition. He was 44. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when he was stung, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The thing about animals is that they don't know that they're on TV. They cannot speak to complain or warn us to let us know that we are bothering them, and if we persist, they will have to take action. No matter how much of an "expert" one is doesn't matter to the guy doing the filming.

My attitude is, leave the animals alone. They don't need us wandering around poking them, lifting rocks to find them or stalking them in Hummers for the sake of filling air time on another TV channel. Shows like that make me nervous and anxious, and I don't like to feel that way when I'm supposed to be relaxing.

Sometimes, they get irritated with our behavior, and the only way they can protest is through vengeance. At that point, the humans get angry and turn it into another program called "When Animals Attack". They attack when we lock them in cages, chase them around and try to get them to do something that they do not want to do.

Just as we would.

The sad part for Steve is that for all his love of the animals and the environment, he was also responsible for another group:

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

Sad that he leaves behind a wife and two kids. Eventually he was going to die doing one of these crazy things...guess his number was up.

Pam said...

WOW!! I had not heard that he died. I'm kind of surprised that I am surprised. I guess it was inevitable with all the crazy stuff he did.

Kate Michele said...

I hate the "when animals attack" shows...If they bothered a person that much we'd attack too!! I hate the circus for this reason...the way they treat the Elephants is sooo wrong, Where's the animal rights people??!!

As for Steve I never really liked him, but the sinker came when he had his newly born son with him at a show feeding the croc, and then play "walking" him infront of the croc!!!

Anthony said...

Kate: That's me and zoo's. They depress me for some reason. I guess it's because I see the animals pacing around, looking like they really don't want to be there - because they don't.

And the tiny little cages for the reptiles are insulting.
It's nice to see the animals, but I wonder if it's really a good idea?

Kate Michele said...

Your discription of the animals in the zoo sounds a lot like men shopping!!

Anthony said...

At the local mall, there are benches outside the women's stores, for the guys to sit and wait. Very convenient, if not a bit demeaning.

It beats the Hell out of watching them pace around, holding handbags that they are clearly uncomfortable with, while the wife/girlfriend tries on shoe after shoe.

I miss those days.