Friday, September 1, 2006

Random Thoughts on Friday

"I'm going to hold my breath until you say you believe me!"

WASHINGTON - Speaking before an American Legion convention in Salt Lake City, the White House is bringing representatives from countries that have suffered terrorist attacks to populate the audience at President Bush's next war-on terror speech, to emphasize the global nature of the enemy.

My question to the blog: Why do we need to know - constantly - that the government is fighting a war on terror? Not the one in the Middle East - the one over here - the one with the scare tactics. Other than frightening us (which I suppose is their aim) there is really no need to know the lengths to which the government is going to keep terrorists away from our country. Like the war on drugs (which is also wasted money) it will go on without any input from us. So, include me out and handle it on your own. When you continue to mention the "good work" you're doing, it only serves to convince me that you are trying to convince yourself.

THIS IS POINTLESS:
"Golf courses and cemetaries - the biggest wastes of prime real estate!" declared Al Czervik [Rodney Dangerfield] in Caddyshack. Now, it seems, Al's dreams are becoming reality as golf courses around the country are being converted into retail space and housing developments. In the last 5 years, course closings soared from 23 to a record 93.5 last year.
Point-five? Somebody lost 9 holes! Golfers still have plenty of places to play: 16,052 courses nationwide, and each course is about 150 acres. It's the first time since 1945 that there has been a yearly reduction in the number of golf courses - so, there's some good news.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tiny-little Khagendra Thapa Magar, 14, is waiting for the Guinness Book of Records people to reach a final decision as to whether he is indeed the shortest person in the world. The little shrimp is 20 inches tall and weighs 10 pounds, but he's only 14. Maybe they should wait, because I think he could shoot-up to at least 22 inches by the time he's 18.

But, look on the bright side ... he could hang with Coco (Mrs. Ice-T), and when it rains, he wouldn't get wet ...
Wow. There's a real caboose on that train, eh Khagendra?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, it's raining really hard here in the Garden State, prompting our local newscasts to devote the first 8 minutes of the six-o'clock news to the remnants of Hurricane Ernesto. The fact that it isn't a hurricane, or even a tropical storm, anymore didn't stop them from putting up giant ERNESTO graphics, with the accompanying storm cloud.

They sent reporters out in the field to show us that it was raining in such far-away outposts as Cape May, NJ and Chester, PA. The only other way I would have known is if I had looked out the window - which, given the nonsense on the news, was a viable entertainment option.

But, thank the God that made her, Cecily Tynan was dry and warm in the studio, pointing at isobars and looking as cute as ever, while poor Cathy Gandolfo and Dann Cuellar were outside like drowned rats.
I mention Cecily only to pick up another couple of Google searches. Two in the last week. I feel good about making someone in Mt. Laurel read my whole blog post just to get to -- nothing.

7 comments:

Kate Michele said...

does your blog like my comment yet??

Kate Michele said...

I have to use my google mail info for it to work...not my blogger info hence why theres no pic with it....hmmmm

kimmyk said...

i nearly spit on the "little shrimp" comment.

Pimping your blog with google searches huh? I thought only FS5 did that.

Anthony said...

Hey, Kimmyk, we take all the pimping we can get! Maybe "little shrimp" will be good for a few hits, too?

BTW, Katie - How does Kimmy get a photo and you don't? :o

Kate Michele said...

Cause it won't let me use my blogger account. I think it's boycotting me!! Little ole me!!

Pam said...

How is the no anonymous poster option working for ya?

I had some wing-nut posting anonymously on a cached version of my blog the other day.

Anthony said...

So far so good with the "anonymous" deal. I suspect that my weirdo has tried a couple of times to no avail.

However, the Blogger Beta is not so satisfactory. I'm having trouble posting comments. I'll have to work on that. I think it's a compatibility deal with people on the old version.