Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hollywood pats itself on the back.

I don't know why we (people) get so worked up over awards shows.
The Grammy's, the Emmy's and the Academy Awards get a lot of attention while most of us have to get up and go to work tomorrow.
Maybe it's because we like to see that a movie or song that we like gets an award for being a movie or song that a lot of people like? We like to think that our tastes reflect what society thinks. Some of us (me) don't give a crap what society thinks, and as a matter of fact, if I like something that society likes I start to wonder why I like it, because the masses of people are clueless.
They will give out the Oscars tonight, and the biggest change (other than saying "the Oscar goes to" instead of "the winner is") is that there are now 10 films nominated instead of the customary five. It's the Little League version of award shows, but mostly it is so that the nominated films can reap the profits from being nominated. It's always about money.
I have only seen one of the nominated films, "Avatar," so based on what I have seen, "Avatar" will win the Best Picture Oscar.
Can you tell me why we care who wins an award for "best costume design" or "best art direction?" And why it is part of a four-hour telecast? You humans are strange.
Some of you will stay awake until after midnight to see the award given out, and I say, "Enjoy yourselves" because I couldn't care less which film gets the award. It doesn't change the way I live or make a dime for me. Whomever wins best actor, actress or the strangely named "supporting" roles doesn't alter the way I lead my life or go about my daily business. It's the same dopey outlook that makes you care who wins on "Dancing With the Stars" or any of those other stupid so-called 'reality' shows.
You just like being popular.

5 comments:

susan said...

I couldn't care less either. Renting a movie and cuddling with the cat. My idea of a great night.

Anthony said...

Hmmm, yeah. I did that tonight with "Julie & Julia" and Thor. Two hours of my life I won't get back.

susan said...

Haven't seen t hat one.

So it's two paws down, eh?

Anthony said...

I kept waiting for something to happen, but there's no conflict.

Kcoz said...

I don't watch award shows...I could care less. The last time i watched the academy awards was over ten years ago.

With that said, I tuned in somewhere in the middle of the show to gather some information about the movie Jeff Bridges had stared in, from reading about it on the Internet...I caught a pre-recorded skit with Steve Martin and the Baldwin guy that was hilarious...but soon became bored and shut off the show...the TV as well.

I guess what I'm saying is; of my approximately one hour of viewing the show, the only thing I found entertaining was a 30 second pre-recorded comedy skit that was probably written by Steve Martin!

Later...