Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Random obtuse thoughts following a coherent one.

Sometimes I post something that I think is weak, and I can't wait until the next time I get a coherent thought so I can post something new and put the ugliness behind me. Other times, I post something that I figure I could die the next day and have it be the last thing I say and be happy with it. Such was the case Monday. Now, I find myself in the unenviable position of having to post something equally as interesting today. It ain't gonna happen.
I got a Tweet from Paula Creamer. I know, big deal, but with 3,800 followers, to pick me out to thank "for being such a great fan" was pretty cool to read. She's so awesome, it's hard to explain.
Big Daddy Graham posted a link to the rant I did about music a few days ago. Also pretty cool.
A web site called Shine (from Yahoo) offers tips on "How not to be humiliated when dining alone" as though it is humiliating to be dining alone. Humiliated? Really. We are supposed to be offended somehow when we are asked "Table for one?" and we respond with "yes," as though it is a crime against nature to have to eat out by yourself. Take a book, they say, so you'll appear to have something to do. Then, they tell us to eavesdrop and get involved in others' conversations. Sure, that's always a great idea - butt into someone's private conversation and act like they were talking to you. That's a sure way to end up in a fist fight in the parking lot.
Here's my advice for dining alone, as I have done it hundreds of times: Fuck the world and eat your damned dinner.
Meanwhile, it is once again tax season, which unlike duck season or rabbit season, cannot be solved merely by shooting something. You have to fill out forms and go through the rigors of filing your taxes. A recent article on Yahoo suggested that it will take the average filer 34 hours to complete their tax forms, which includes organizing paperwork and filling out the forms. That is way too much time, if you ask me - and you didn't.
American taxpayers are burdened with the chore of filing a tax return when they should be off doing other things like eating out or getting Tweets from Paula Creamer. But we buy the software and pay the tax preparers hundreds of dollars (tax deductible) to prepare our taxes. A TV commercial from Jackson-Hewitt proclaimed that 9 out of 10 people who have their taxes prepared by Jackson-Hewitt will get a refund. How can they make that claim? I've had to pay every year since I have been declared single, so if I wandered into a J-H store and asked them to prepare my taxes, would I stand a 90% chance of getting a refund? Methinks not, but since we are slaves to TV ads, the masses of (asses) tax filers will storm in thinking a similar fate awaits them. You might as well cheat on your own and save some money.
See, I told you it wouldn't be as interesting as Monday.

2 comments:

Firestarter5 said...

I prefer eating by myself.

yourDMBbud said...

CONGRATS!!!! I know what a HUGE fan you are of her so I KNOW how kewl it is that she picked YOU to say HOWDY to... That would be like if one of DMB said the same to me (as if) ... SO, print it, paste it, and frame it!!! That's AWESOME!!!