Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My opinion on opinion polls.

I took an online poll from my friends (so they say) at StubHub. At the end of the survey, they asked me a few personal questions which, so they say, are being used for demographic purposes only. One of the questions is, "are you ... married, single, divorced, widowed ..."
I express a disdain over the divorced moniker. I've been divorced for over 10 years, and at this stage, I consider myself single. I think there should be a statute of limitations on being labeled either single or divorced.
After 10 years (a length of a good marriage) I should now be considered single. Divorced carries a stain like "ex-convict" where people look at you differently.
Oh, you failed. Like that scene in "Kramer vs. Kramer" where they labeled Joanna a failure because her marriage failed. Ted shook his head as she nodded hers as the question was asked. We didn't fail, "it did not succeed" was an answer, but the attorney wouldn't accept it.
Neither did StubHub.
All I want to do is sell some tickets. Does it matter?

1 comment:

Firestarter5 said...

I remember putting down 'single' status on Facebook and when I checked my profile later they had a broken heart beside my name. WTF is that supposed to mean? I'm single cuz I prefer it. Idiots.