Sunday, May 31, 2009

Where's the food?

CULVER CITY, Calif. (AP) - In a chewy chow-lenge, Takeru Kobayashi outlasted Joey Chestnut when the eating titans faced off to see who could devour the most pizzas. Kobayashi, a six-time world hot dog eating champion from Japan, consumed 5-3/4 P’zones in a six-minute span of chaotic consumption Saturday to edge Chestnut. The 25-year-old from San Jose, Calif., wolfed down 5-1/2 P’zones on Stage 15 at Sony Studios.
“I’m a little bummed,” Chestnut said. “There’s nobody I like beating more than him, he pushes me harder than anybody.”
Jesus, who can eat the most pizzas. That's what we've come to as a race of humans. I like food too much to want to eat 6 P'zone's (whatever they are) in 6 minutes, or anything else, for that matter.
I went to see the Wilmington Blue Rocks on Saturday, and had a veggie-burger that I consumed in about 6 minutes - because it was good. Imagine that. Among other things, there was a baseball game to watch, unless, of course you count the mascots, who seemed to outnumber the players.

Food it seems, manifests itself in various forms. That's Reggy. I don't know what Reggy is or what he represents, but the kids seemed to love him. He appears to have a bag of french fries on his head and some oddly colored clothing, but I'm no judge. I'm not sure what sort of merit badge the scout is working on either.


That's Mister Celery. He comes out every time a Blue Rocks player scores a run. I don't know why. The Rocks scored 8 on Saturday, so he was a busy stalk.

This was a race of some sort between Rocky Bluewinkle (don't ask) and three other people dressed as a hot dog, a bag of popcorn and a peanut. I'm not sure who won. Does it matter?
The important thing was that I got out of the house and that the Blue Rocks won, 8 to 6. So, just because you're curious, I did see some baseball, and here are a few photos of actual players that have nothing to do with food.

That's Derrick Robinson, the Blue Rocks' leadoff hitter. He looks like he could use a good meal.

Shortstop Jeff Bianchi had 3 hits on Saturday, not that you'd notice with all the food products dancing around.

Third baseman Mike Moustakas was the Royals first round draft pick a couple of years ago, and he's playing this year in Wilmington, dodging the celery and hot dogs.

1 comment:

susan said...

Pzones are made by Pizza Hut- they are incredibly huge. Thinking about all that food made me go for the Pepto.

i Loved the photos of the mascots. I go to the Trenton Thunder games. They have a dog that comes out when the team hits a home run named Boomer.

I have a several pieces of Boomer tzchokes I've bought.... because he is so cute.

You cannot beat those baseball teams when the majors charge so much for a ticket you can go broke....