Tuesday, April 21, 2009

There's a lot of stuff - try to keep up.

Today is Free Cone Day, which isn't some sort of veiled reference to an old comedy sketch - it's free ice cream cone day at your local Ben and Jerry's retail outlet. If you can find one nearby, stop in and demand your free ice cream. It's the least you can do.
It's a gamble on my part, but I'm betting that you can't find one close enough to where you are that would make it worth your while to make a special trip for a free ice cream cone. I'm just saying. For me, I'd have to drive to the 60 miles to Atlantic City or cross the $4 bridge to Philadelphia, and as much as I love B&J's, it just ain't worth it somehow. For you gamblers, U of Penn students or Amtrak customers - invite the head freeze.
Regular readers will remember Box Wars, the three-day affair between me and my next-door neighbor. Today marked day two of The Yellow Pages Bag. Around here, the local phone company drops the new phone books at what passes for our doorstep. In the case of upstairs condo residents, that means the bottom of the stairs. On Saturday night, I deposited my neighbor's phone book bag at her door. [Neighborly, right?] Today, it sits. Day three approaches. Stay tuned for updates.
I'm not sure if I am more surprised that (a) people pay attention to what beauty pageant contestants say or (b) that people watch beauty pageants.
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton may have been crowned Miss USA 2009 on Sunday, but on Monday, it was Miss California Carrie Prejean's answer to a question about same-sex marriage from celebrity blogger and pageant judge Perez Hilton that was the night's biggest story. During the show, Perez asked Carrie, "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?" [Ready for the answer?]
"Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and in, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman," Carrie said to a mix of boos and applause. "No offense to anybody out there. But that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be between a man and a woman."
Once they started booing, I think Carrie should have taken her top off. Let's analyze: First, she refers to straight marriage as "opposite marriage." Then, she says "I think I believe." There's some conviction for ya. That in itself should have elicited boos, but then, they weren't in Philadelphia. The final straw (of a series of straws) came when she said, "No offense to anybody," the official eraser phrase. Right away, you know she figured that she was offending someone. Not me, but somebody out there. And, to be grammatically correct, it's "how I was reared" not "how I was raised." She's not a potted plant - is she? Make your own jokes about being reared.
Monday night was game two of our season ticket plan for the Phillies. Local residents with phone books will no doubt recall the lightning, heavy rain and general miserable weather conditions of Monday. What is astounding to me is that it took the Phillies until 5:35 to postpone the game. Those of us with active brain cells made the decision around noon, but my cynical mind tells me that the Phillies were looking to maximize the parking concession and ballpark food purchase, luring unsuspecting fans to the park to absorb the exciting ambiance of rain and wind. NOTE TO THE PHILLIES: Do us a favor and cancel the games before the fans are forced to make a post-work decision whether to go or stay home.
On the bright side, I got to watch the penultimate season episode of Heroes, so it wasn't a total loss. That's right, I'm the one who watches Heroes.
That's all I have. Resume your daily activities and talk amongst yourselves.

No comments: