Thursday, December 4, 2008

The more you get, the more they want.

I paid off a credit card yesterday - I know, but it ain't so much - and today this little e-mail announcement came in my in-box. My credit line has been increased. Whoopie-Wo.
The more you pay, the more they want.
Then, I started thinking about the car companies and how they have their greasy hands out for some of our (it's ours) money. Even Avis has gotten into the act. The more they owe, the more they think we want to give them, as though their former spending habits and bad financial decisions won't return.
It's hard to blame them. The government prints the money, and they'd be foolish to think that they couldn't print some more. I think there's a form to fill out, but it's pretty easy nonetheless.
Maybe our government will give them money or maybe they won't. I'm thinking that the government is like us - they can't control themselves, so they just finance everything - as though Citibank sent them an e-mail saying, "Hey, you're good for another 20 trillion." Suckers that they are, they sign up for the big money.
I dream of the day I don't have to pay anything to anybody whose name is on a plastic card. As Jules Winnfield said in Pulp Fiction, "It could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd."
As for me, it's one at a time.
As for you, government. Try real hard to be the shepherd.

1 comment:

kimmyk said...

we paid off 5 credit cards last month and it was like the sky parted and i heard angels sing.

i promptly cut those suckers up too don't think i didn't. i think jamie shed a tear when i did though. he's a sucker for a "low introductory interest rate". not me....i hate the cards!