Friday, December 5, 2008

Four things for Friday.

Today at work, I heard someone use the phrase “I don't want to open a can of worms," assuming that whatever she was about to do would have dire consequences. I’ve used it myself, but when I hear others use it, it makes me think about what would happen if I opened an actual can of worms. I guess they’d just wriggle around and maybe one or two would get out, but I’d guess that most of them would stay inside, squirming amongst themselves. I can think of worse things.

The NHL suspended Sean Avery 6 games for using the phrase “sloppy seconds” when describing his last girlfriend. Six games without pay. It isn’t an obscene reference, doesn’t particularly offend large numbers of people and doesn’t inflict physical harm. It’s an odd punishment for a league that allows a player to physically beat another player and receive a punishment of 5 minutes.

We’re getting our first wintry blast this weekend. Temperatures are going to be below freezing, and the dreaded snow flurries are in the forecast. That was enough for local weather geek Glen “Hurricane” Schwartz to say “... but what about the snow?” during his promos on Thursday night. What about the snow? It’s going to snow about as much as what you would get if you emptied an ash tray in a stiff wind. Panicked viewers no doubt tuned in for the 11pm newscast to hear the apocalyptic forecast. Suckers.
There’s something about rotten weather that makes me think about all the things I could be doing if the weather was nice. When the weather is nice, however, none of those things come to mind. This weekend, I’ll be fretting over all of the interesting activities I’m missing out on because it’s too cold to enjoy being outdoors. I can’t think of any of them right now, because it’s about 50 degrees today. Ask me tomorrow.

6 comments:

kimmyk said...

it was a balmy 18 degrees here today. we had our 50 degree weather yesterday, so by calculation tomorrow oughta be butt freezing cold there...enjoy that. mmmhmm.

and that douche avery needs benched. he's hateful. and elisha is cute. i'm sure she called him much worse though....that's how love is when your famous.

susan said...

Thanks for reminding me it's going to be cold here. It will be nice to snuggle on the couch, read, an have the cat sleep on my feet.

Did the NHL really do that? Can I say schmucks?

Laura said...

we've been fogged in here under the Big Top since Thanksgiving Eve but today we briefly forgot about Mr. Sun thanks to The Poopsmith Song. Thanks for the suggestion, Anthony. Daniel has been listening to it over and over and over again and loves it.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

It’s an odd punishment for a league that allows a player to physically beat another player and receive a punishment of 5 minutes.

I totally agree with you. What an absurd affair. This should be between him and his girlfriend not a concern of the NHL.

kimmyk said...

Don't you think though Handsome B. Wonderful that when he spewed that shit at the game that it then became a NHL problem?

I think he's a douche. (That's if you were asking me...)

Anthony said...

I think a lot of worse stuff is said on the ice (and the field) during games that nobody except the players know about.
Avery's mistake was in saying it in a pre-game interview in the locker room.