Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I'm looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Animals are smart. Bears especially. They sleep through the winter when some of us are miserably awake.
My cat sleeps about 20 hours a day, and when he isn't sleeping he's either thinking about it or finding a place to do it.
A particular goal of mine would be to find an escape route and leave civilization from November to March, thereby escaping what the masses call the "holiday season."
It's either a reason or an excuse. When you want something done and it doesn't get done, "the holidays" will be blamed. Afterward, I suppose it's simple neglect or incompetence, but from Thanksgiving to New Year's day, it's the holidays.
Television goes into repeats (or as they say now, "encore performances" - but I know what it is), shopping centers are jammed and those of us on the outside looking in are constantly reminded of what we're missing - or told we are missing. It's a miserable time to be alive and I'd sleep through it if I could.
It's the holidays.
Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's eve and Valentine's Day (Christmas's illegitimate child) feast on our conscience and remind some of us of what we don't have rather than what we do. I like to be able to choose what to do rather than have it chosen for me, and I've always felt that the winter holidays were foist upon me, and it makes me uncomfortable.
I fully realize that I'm a square peg, but I wonder how many people are subjected to the holiday nonsense that would just as soon be left alone? They do it either out of guilt or obligation, and if left to their own devices would ignore it and let it pass. But society tells us we are supposed to act a certain way, and the sheep that we are (most of us), we follow along.
It reminds me of a particularly snowy day (before global warming) and as I drove home I realized that the tracks that the cars left in front of me were guiding me around a long curve, but the tracks weren't in the travel lane, they were in the lane of oncoming traffic, but because the snow was so deep, I couldn't escape the impression left by the others, and it took a lot of work to get out of the deep groove and move back into the proper lane - where I belonged. Being dragged along by the masses often takes us into the path of oncoming traffic. How's that for a metaphor?
What do I want for Christmas? Peace of mind.
Wake me in March.

6 comments:

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I know what you mean. I feel like "the holidays" are foisted upon me too.

kimmyk said...

Anthony, scooch over and make some room cause I'm whipped already. I could use a long winters nap. My birthday is in March...wake me when it's time to blow out my candles, mmkay??

And all that metaphoric thinking ya did? That was deep my friend. Very deep.

Anthony said...

I have my moments of clarity.

susan said...

I could go for sleeping through the holidays too, with my cat, 20 hours a day, waking only to stretch, eat some food, drink some water and use the box. Of course, as the said feeder of fur ball, I have to pour dry food in dish, replace water 2x daily, and scoop the poop out of the box. So I guess I get to sleep one hour less a day than said kitty.

Peace of mind would be good for the holidays for me, and a can of Fancy Feast tuna for the cat. And when I turn on the radio not to hear Carols 24/7 on the "Oldies" station.

Anthony said...

My cat responds to the words "Fancy Feast". It's an evening treat for him.
He likes Tuna and Mackerel and Trout.

They started playing Xmas carols on the radio on November 1 in Philly's market. Ugh.

Ana said...

Dear Anthony,
I feel the same! I cannot understand all this mall pilgrimage.
All this ostentation of luxury that is on every advertisement.
People buying letters and names: D&G, Dior, Mar Jacobs...
This is sad.
I would also would like to wake me in March too.
:)