Monday, March 17, 2008

Tá leabhar aige.

Happy St. Patrick's Day. I don't know what that means, but I felt compelled to say it. Today, everybody is Irish, which makes me think that something is about to explode.
St. Patrick's Day is another one of those useless American "holidays" that is celebrated but not officially recognized by the Federal government. I noticed, when I was out on Saturday, that several revelers were already in full Patty's Day mode - with the green hats, green shamrocks and green beads. Most of them looked like bo-hunk's, but I digress.
I'm confused. Half our time is spent telling people that we're supposed to be a melting pot, and that our differences are trivial. We're supposed to be worldly and accept people for what they are and who they are.
The other half is spent telling us how different we are, as we celebrate Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Polish-Americans and every other [slash]American whose country of origin comes before the country to which they pay their taxes. I'm thinking that at least half our time is wasted. Are we supposed to be the same or are we different? I was born in America and I don't feel any ties to my [whatever] heritage. I suppose that makes me different?
Co-workers, retail clerks and (God forbid) bartenders are going to tell us "Happy Saint Patrick's Day" today, and we'll smile and do something. Then, they'll ask us why we aren't wearing anything green.
I don't own anything green, except my liver, which at this point is probably straining under the pressure.
I picked a bad day to quit drinking.

3 comments:

Kate Michele said...

Ok. I'm half Irish and half Russian. Which basically melts down to I'm told.... I like to drink and fuck. :D

I'm a picky drinker though ;)

MuuuHaaaHAaa

Anthony said...

Well, you need to be a picky drinker. You shouldn't settle. ;-) I learned all about that "bottom-shelf" junk early on. Whenever ordering a mixed drink, make sure to specify a brand and not just vodka. You'll get the swill. There's a big difference that usually shows up the next morning.

And we need to be at our best in the morning. :D

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I protest St. Patrick's Day for many of the reasons that you addressed. But also because I'm Scottish and supposedly there is some rivalry there with the Irish. I don't honestly hate the Irish, it's just a tradition in my family I guess. Shrugs shoulders. Both sides are dunk bastards.

Speaking of drinking I just ordered a bottle of Absinthe and it came this weekend. It is some damn good stuff. But like you said, you get what you pay for. I did a ton of research and ordered this expensive stuff made in Switzerland and I tell you it was so smooth and yet got us nice and drunk quick.

Don't order that cheap stuff from the Czech Republic. The brand I bought was Verte Suisse 65.

It doesn't give you hallucinations like the myth says. It is, however, a different kind of buzz. It's a lucid drunkenness. So that you can be lucid when you decide to pee in the laundry basket instead of the toilet. :)