Thursday, March 6, 2008

Looking out my back door.

I know, it's a cheap rip-off of that Creedence song, but that's what the photo is, so give me a break.
On my drive home from the gym, I listen to Kids Corner, the local public radio show that is supposed to be for kids (hence the name) but I find it kind of relaxing, and the music they play is a welcomed change from the adult-oriented-rock (the so-called AOR) that gets played on so-called adult radio.
Kathy O'Connell (the host) had Derrick Pitts from the Franklin Institute's Fels Planetarium on the show, talking about the evening sky and which constellations we would see if we looked outside during the spring, which I hear is coming soon. They call it "Deep Space, with our Sky Guy Derrick Pitts". It's a kids show.
He also told us that on a normal evening, approximately 10 objects enter the Earth's atmosphere and flash across the sky like meteors. If we look up, at any given moment, we have a pretty good chance of seeing something streaking across the sky.
I took the camera and the wide-angle lens out on the wood deck and pointed it at Orion, my favorite constellation. What, you don't have a favorite constellation?
Sure enough, something streaked across the sky. I'm guessing it's a meteor or a particle of some satellite that I was lucky enough to catch with the camera. It couldn't be that I'm in the flight path of Philadelphia International Airport and it's merely a passing jet. No, that's not it at all. It's a meteor streaking across the sky, luckily burning up in the atmosphere before it reached the ground. (Click on the picture and it will expand)
Meanwhile, the cat has me worried.
Lately, he's been sitting in the kitchen staring at the stove as though there was a small animal in there - or a meteor. Whatever, it's creeping me out. I go looking for him, and there he is sitting in the kitchen staring at the floor in front of the stove. Don't believe me? Here's a photo to prove it. Just like the meteor, it's inexplicable.

Weird right? I thought so too.

5 comments:

Kate Michele said...

Beautiful skies you have over there...ours are still the ohio grey with snow stuffed in them :D

Ummm maybe your stove is haunted...

xoxox

kimmyk said...

cool pic!

your poor kitty-what the hell is behind the stove? ya didn't pull it out? maybe it's the birds. maybe they've found a way from the dryer vent to the back of the stove.

could happen.

Anthony said...

K8tie: I'm sure the stove is haunted. I'm afraid to use it! XOXO

Kimmyk: I pulled out the drawer - nothin'. The cat is goofy.
With all the rain, the birds have a dryer vent shanty until next Saturday at least.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Maybe your cat is hoping the stove with magically fire up, cook some fish and fall down onto the floor for him to scarf.

What can I say? I have a wild imagination.

Speaking of space, I wrote a post about our universe today on my Buddhist blog that you might be interested in.

Just ignore the Buddhisty stuff if you're not interested that. Don't worry, I'm not trying to "convert" you to Buddhism (Buddhists don't do missionary work anyway).

I just thought that you might be interested in the science of the post.

Here's the link

Firestarter5 said...

He's contemplating the meaning of life.

Where's the snow?