Tuesday, February 5, 2008

WARNING: Severe liver damage.

I am heavily medicated. Sudafed PE, vitamin C and whatever is in this “Cold-a-rest” stuff that we have at work. All I’m missing is Robitussin to complete the cycle. I’m probably doing severe liver damage, but my liver is just going to have to deal. The faster I can chase this head cold out – or mask its effects – the better I’ll like it.
I did it to myself. An ill-advised bike ride on a chilly Saturday afternoon followed by a binge-drinking Super Bowl Sunday and here I am nursing a head cold with over-the-counter junk that does a good job of masking the symptoms and making me a little dizzy at the same time.
Perhaps that explains my Obama choice this morning at the polls? If I had to pass a drug test in order to vote, I probably would have failed and been made to recite the alphabet backwards from R or something.
I’m thinking I should go out and get some woman pregnant so I could see what kind of over-the-counter-drug influenced baby comes out. That’s easier than it sounds, trust me. It is. It might have 6 toes or something, but I can guarantee it wouldn’t have a head cold until it was at least 10 years old.
Anyway … I suppose I’m committed now. If Obama gets the nomination, I’m all in. Of course, it’s not like I’d vote for Romney or McCain in November, so it isn’t much of a choice. I just hope I’m not being duped into believing that this guy can do everything he says he can. I’ve lived long enough to have seen plenty of candidates who think they can change the world. When (or if) they’re elected they find out that it’s harder than it seemed.
Lyndon Johnson thought he could do it. Following in the Kennedy legacy, he got bogged down by the war in Vietnam and could never get his domestic programs off the ground. Later, a couple of other guys said they were going to get us out of there. One was assassinated and the other one lost in the biggest landslide in history – to a guy who turned out to be a crook, even though he said he wasn’t. History (and living through history) makes one skeptical.
All of that took place 40 years ago, and (except the assassination part) you could replace the names and faces with more familiar ones to this generation.
You don’t think history could repeat itself, do you?

“Screws fall out all the time. The world’s an imperfect place.”
- John Bender “The Breakfast Club”

5 comments:

Mandy Lou said...

Go ahead - get some robitussin going too, it's nice. That's how I spent last week, robitussin. tylenol sever cold and some cold-eze - a sniffly, happy haze.

Anonymous said...

I had an interesting super bowl too., not quite as drunk as yours... but my friend was. I think you may like my blog.

bananas62 said...

Feel better!!!!! Sounds like a good Superbowl to me!!!!

kimmyk said...

let me guess you went outside with your head wet too? dayquil is the shit and nyquil rocks the dreams so..that's my unsolicited advice for ya.

i hope you're feelin better though.

kimmyk said...

p.s.
everytime i hear that quote i think of you. well, right after i think of bender.