Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Viewer mail ... kind of.

Once again bereft of ideas, I turn to a tried and true staple of modern television and even a blog or two - answering the reader comments, which I will call Viewer Mail. Yes, that's what I'm calling it.
Kimmyk writes:
i want to see michael clayton. did you see it? never heard of there will be blood til the other night when my daughter told me that movie won some award.
Won some award? Oh, dear Kimmyk, I think I said in Friday's Oscar post that the Best Actor award should be named the Daniel Day-Lewis Award. Just like in hockey, where the trophies are named after people. Who is Oscar? I don't know, but I do know that Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of a lifetime and "There Will be Blood" comes out on DVD April 8. I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon.
And yes, I saw "Michael Clayton". I think if it wasn't nominated for Best Picture, I would have liked it more. I thought "Charlie Wilson's War" was a better film and I also believe that Philip Seymour Hoffman should have won the Best Supporting Actor award - which should be re-named the Philip Seymour Hoffman Award.
rattlin' along sends this query (no offense):
Who was Bob's first TV wife and who was her husband? And what characters did he play on Bob's shows?
I thought this was a trick question, since I mentioned Suzanne Pleshette in the post. Her husband was Tom Poston, who played "The Peeper" on the TV show. The joke was that Bill Daily's character (airline navigator Howard Borden) would always mis-name him as "The Creeper" or "The Leaper" or some other variation. Bob would deadpan, pause and correct him.
Tom would later re-appear on Newhart as the handyman at the Stratford Inn. He was in Bob too, but I can't remember much about that show other than Bob was a cartoonist and it was mildly funny. Tom Poston died last year. He was 85.
Here's a question for you: Who is Lorenzo Music?
kate michele checked in:
OMG Anthony I'm so ready for spring too. I cant take these winters anymore ... it must be a sign i'm getting old. :D
No K8tie, a sign of getting old is that you can recall odd characters from television sitcoms that were on 20 years ago.
Anthony said:
What really sucks is that Versus shares Hi-def channel 207 with the Golf Channel, so they give us Thursday and Friday, then show Versus on the weekend, where we have to slum over on regular-def channel 57.
You're right, as usual. I pay an extra $5 for the hi-def channels, and they don't even have the decency to split the channels so that we can see all 3 rounds of the tournament in hi-def. You're really sharp. You should start blogging. People love reading rants about stupid crap like that.
James said:
I would give the [Best Actress] Oscar to Ellen Page for sure. She made that movie and we watched a star being born. Then again, The Academy doesn't like comedies let alone sarcastic ones.
If you really want to watch a star being born, James; rent "Hard Candy" and watch Ellen in an even darker role. I just finished watching it, and it's dark and disturbing. I could write an essay about it, but it's a couple of years old. You just need to watch it and allow it to either make you angry, ask yourself questions or decide which character you're ultimately rooting for. It's good character work for your brain. By the way, the Best Actress Award will now be called the Meryl Streep Award. Saw that coming, didn't you?
Sparky Duck said:
Tomorrow is officially going to be a fucking mess.
Well, my friend, that's true of just about every day.
Kimmyk again:
oooohhh but the ice --- it's beautiful on the trees. so that being said - i challenge you to get out there this weekend and take some fabulous photos my friend.
Indeed. While on the spin bike tonight, I came up with the very idea for a blog of photos that I will post. Some I can cull from the archives, and others I will cull from the camera. Soon.
firestarter5 said:
My favourites are the people who live in the city and own something like a Hummer.
We have one at work. She lives (literally) three miles from the office, yet drives there in an H3. The Goddamned thing is bigger than my condo, with aircraft tires and bullet-proof glass. What is she afraid of? Besides common sense and earthly decency, I mean.
1hundred words said:
I don't think you are nutty.
Oh my dear, you have so much to learn.
The Best Director award will now be called the Alfred Hitchcock Award.

2 comments:

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I agree that Charlie Wilson's War was much better than Michael Clayton. I too will be buying There Will be Blood. As well as Atonement but I know you don't like that one. :)

Here's a "Viewer Mail" question for ya. "What movie are you looking forward to this year?"

rattln along said...

L. Music liked to eat lasagna or at least he voiced a character that did.

How's that? Do you want his real name? How about how I know this stuff? No. It was not a "Google" search.