Thursday, February 28, 2008

More viewer mail.

Here's a "Viewer Mail" question for ya. "What movie are you looking forward to this year?"
- James
I'm glad you asked. I always look forward to Dustin Hoffman's work. His next film is in post-production. It's called "Last Chance Harvey", and it's about an older man in London for his daughter's wedding, and finds his romantic spirits lifted by a new woman in his life. He co-stars with Emma Thompson, and also features James Brolin (Josh's dad), so you know that at least the acting will be great.
Otherwise, he's doing a voice an IMAX feature called "Kung Fu Panda" that comes out in June, and another cartoon voice in "The Tale of Despereaux" that comes out in December. So, if you want to see him on the screen this year, it looks like Harvey is your Last Chance.
Steve Carell is doing "Get Smart" on June 20 with Anne Hathaway as 99 and Bill Murray as 13 and his old pal from "Little Miss Sunshine" Alan Arkin as The Chief. It could be good or it could really suck. I think the TV show stands on its own, and generally, films of popular TV shows are tough to do. Think "Bewitched" and "Beverly Hillbillies" for losers and "The Fugitive" and the "Star Trek" films for winners.
"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" starring Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Cate Blanchett and John Hurt and ... directed by Steven Spielberg ... is out in May, so that should be interesting too. There's much less of a chance that it will suck.
I love Frances McDormand, but I saw the trailer for her new film "Mrs. Pettigrew Lives for a Day", which opens March 7, and I think I'll have to wait for her next film.
Kevin Spacey has a new film opening on March 28 called "21", the true story of the very brightest young minds in the country - and how they took Vegas for millions playing Blackjack.
George Clooney directs and stars in "Leatherheads", a film that I have seen the trailer for 3 times, and every time I see it, I ask myself how we're supposed to believe that Clooney is a football player. It co-stars The Office's John Krasinski (Jim Halpert) who is brought to the team as a ringer to try to save the franchise. We'll find out on April 4.
The early part of the year is generally dismal for new films. I see that a local theater is showing the Oscar nominated Short Subject films (both animated and live-action) so maybe somebody is paying attention? I'm hoping to get out to see them this weekend, since most of the films in theaters now are ... dismal.

3 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

Emma Thompson in London will make any movie watchable. Tut tut

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I am looking forward to many of the same movies. Especially, Get Smart (but I agree that the series stands alone), the new Indy flick and 21.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Oh and I too love Dustin and Kevin Spacey.