Friday, May 11, 2007

The latest dumb thing from the U.S. Postal Service

WASHINGTON - It will cost a bit more to mail letters and parcels starting Monday. A first-class letter will go up 2 cents to 41 cents. But there is also some good news - folks will be able to buy "forever" stamps that remain valid regardless of any future increase.
So, that's the "good news"? I'm a little confused (a lot confused) about these "Forever stamps". Who buys a stamp and holds onto it forever? They are marketing these things like we're buying them and saving them for something. Who buys stamps and doesn't use them quickly?
Sure - let me run out and buy up a truckload of these stamps so I can save 2 cents in three years when the rates go up. Do they think we're that stupid?
My take on this "Forever" stamp is that the Post Office is admitting that by the time the next rate increase is enacted, the Postal Service will be the stuff of history. Anybody remember the Pony Express?
Five years from now, when rates go up again, the only thing the post office will be delivering are magazines and packages - and UPS and FedEx will be hammering them on price for packages. I already pay most of my bills online, and if I send out a package, I can print the postage online, too. I send out [maybe] two checks a month, and I e-mail everybody else. Stamps are for collectors.
Forever? Here's a clue: If you are under the age of 40 and you work for the U.S. Post Office, keep your resume updated.

3 comments:

kimmyk said...

where i work we mail stuff out by the boatloads and so our mail dept. bought a boat load of these. i dont know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

i rarely mail anything anymore too. kind of sad if you think about it. modern technology...emails, etc. i remember when i was a kid i loved getting mail. i send cards to my nieces and nephews for that simple reason. everyone else though you're right-they get emails.

Kate Michele said...

I miss letters.... it makes me sad. Its much more pwrsonal to see the other persons handwritting.

Now these "forever" stamps are they still 41 cents? Cause this sounds like it has the potential to be one of those things were "they are good forever but they cost more to get deals" you know.

Sparky Duck said...

Alright, let me scratch the USPS as future employers off my list.