Tuesday, May 8, 2007

For your pleasure, we present: Pets as Merchandise

Just when you think you have seen every crazy, harebrained scheme – along comes this nonsense. First, the article, then my sanctimonious rant. You tell me if I am totally off base with this, or if you feel similarly:
THE ARTICLE:
The lure of an energetic playmate and warm companionship has brought me to the door of my neighborhood animal shelter, but I was always stopped by thoughts of the poor pup being penned up all day while I'm at work.
San Diego and Los Angeles-based
Flexpetz lets you borrow a dog of your choice for a few hours, a day or even a week. All their dogs come from accredited rescue organizations and range from an Italian greyhound named Pike to Tango, a stunning black Afghan.
Owner Marlena Cervantes says many of their San Diego clients are military personnel who don't want to kennel their dogs while out at sea. A number of celebrities also showed interest at a pre-Oscar event this year. "We had a lot of interest from actors who have to be on-location a lot," she says.
Membership is based on a monthly fee of $40 and a Daily Doggy Time charge, payable for each day or part of a day you spend with the dog, amounting to about $20 on weekdays and $30 on weekends.
They are planning to open a branch in New York City in June and have their sights on cities all over the U.S. as well as Europe and Asia. Soon you will never be left without the companionship of a faithful friend.
THE SANCTIMONIOUS RANT:
A faithful friend? It is a shame, however, that the owner cannot be as faithful as the friend. Pick up a dog, run him around for a few hours, and then take him back – as though you were renting a movie. Dogs are not commodities; they are flesh and blood with feelings and emotions. Renting animals is tantamount to teasing them. I see it every day in the eyes of my cat when I leave for work. The big difference there is that both of us know I am coming back.

When I went to Arizona in 1998, I left the little fur ball at my mother’s house because I was going to be gone for 2 weeks and didn’t feel as though I should inconvenience my neighbors for that length of time. Moreover, leaving any animal alone for that long is a bit cruel, I think.
It felt odd leaving him, and mom said it took the cat a few days to come out from under the sofa, but eventually he warmed up to her. It must have been quite a shock to his delicate kitty system to be “abandoned,” since he had no idea if or when I would return.

Playing games with animals is a peculiar choice for a business, and while it’s nice that people like dogs, if they cannot care for them on a consistent basis, then maybe they should accept it. However, as it is with many things, money dictates behavior, and this is yet another toy for wealthy people who think that the world is their personal playground and that animals can be used for their pleasure. They cannot alter their lifestyle, so they use their accumulated wealth to make others adapt to them. Here is yet another example of the rites of money and the power it provides, of which there seems to be no end.

Sadly, the dogs do not have a choice. They sell it as though the dogs are happy this way, because they are from "rescue organizations", and as such, are the lowest on the pet chain of command. Either adapt or die, I suppose.
That's enough out of me.
.

7 comments:

kimmyk said...

You know this tugs at the dog lover in me.

How horrible. How do they know they're being handled properly and with love and care if they take 'em out for test drive for a few hours???
What a bunch of crap.

Another thing-those military personnel should not be allowed to have animals. I can't tell you how many times an animal was left behind in housing to be found dead days later because they military personnel left their dogs/cats etc without food and water. I hate people like that. HATE THEM!

I don't think too kindly of people who do this kind of crap either. People are allowed to adopt kids who are deviants, but yet any joe schmo can get themselves a dog...ugh...pisses me right the hell off.

Now I'm mad.

Anthony said...

Aw, Kimmyk...I knew there was a reason I liked you.

As long as you think it's crap, too ... I feel vindicated.

Thanks.
:)

kimmyk said...

I got your back Anthony.

Sparky Duck said...

Hey, this sounds like BS, though at least they are not standing on the euthanize me line.

Ladyred said...

Pretty soon you'll be able to rent a kid for a few hours! I do have to say this rent-a-pet couldn't be for anyone but the rich and famous, I mean come on. I'm not too sure about the emotions part on animals but I do know that my dog experiences pleasure and fear and on the off chance he gets his ass whuppin, pain. Do they really get all emotional like humans do? Anyway that's a whole other discussion I suppose. But can you imagine what a dog must thing when he has a different owner two or three times a day for seven days a week? One confused pup .......

Anonymous said...

Blogs can be both fun yet dangerous when people bandwagon opinions without researching/thinking for themselves. Is group think the latest trend here? Brilliant. The Flexpetz program provides a more loving lifestyle than the dogs I've seen tied up in backyards 60 + hours/weekly because people adopt without thinking about the time and attention animals really need. I'd bet those dogs wish they could be Flexpetz dogs and loved a few caring families who chose not to own full-time for that very reason.

Anthony said...

OK, Flexpetz employee checking in.

I suppose the only "danger" to expressing an opinion comes when it flies in the face of your business interest or winds up making you look bad.

What IS dangerous is comparing something to a worst-case scenario in order to make yourself look good in contrast.

Perhaps someone should take YOU to a loving family and yank you out so that you can see what a broken heart feels like.

Heree's a worst case scenario for you.
Michael Vick needs dogs, too.

Good luck with your business.