Thursday, March 15, 2007

You Are What You Eat

A New York restaurateur has cooked up the world's most extravagant pizza - a $1,000 pie topped with six kinds of caviar and fresh lobster. Nino's Bellisima Pizza restaurant in New York City is now offering a grand pizza, or rather, a pizza costing a grand.


Nino Selimaj, who runs six pizza restaurants in the Big Apple, on Wednesday unveiled the Luxury Pizza, a 12-inch, thin crust topped with caviar, lobster, creme fraiche and chives.
Cut into eight, it works out at $125 a slice.

"I know this won't be for everyone but there are people in New York who can afford it and once tried, they'll be back for more. It is delicious," said Selimaj, who moved to New York from Albania about 29 years ago.

"Sure, some people will say it is just a publicity stunt, but I have researched this for over a year and think there is a demand. I have already sold one," he told Reuters.

Selimaj said Nino's Bellissima in Manhattan, the only one of his restaurants to offer the dish, needs 24 hours notice for the gourmet dish because it orders the caviar in advance.

"But where better to experiment with pizza than in New York where people love their pizza?" he asked.

If diners are still hungry after the Luxury Pizza, they can always head over to nearby restaurant Serendipity, which sells a $1,000 ice-cream sundae called Golden Opulence that is covered in 23-karat edible gold leaf.

The pizza will be served raw because cooking it would ruin the caviar.

8 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

idiotic, but it is New York, so it should not be a shock

kimmyk said...

Pass.

Christy Forrester said...

You are an artist! I love the contrasting messages.

Why do people buy into this crap?
I feel the same way when I see blips of the Housewives of Orange County. How can some people justify ridiculous luxury?...when true luxurious feelings come from helping one another and being a part of the community…

Christy Forrester said...

Oh also...speaking of giving back....come on by my blog and help me choose 2 photographs to donate to Home Alive :-)

Ladyred said...

oh hey I like the style. And thanks for the critiques! I did well in the class, then again he said everyone did and well I disagree with him but what do I know! Yea my product shots were the best. It can only get better right?

Anyway, OMFG $1000 pizza??? I can buy my own caviar and slop it on a pizza crust! You know, if only someone could rally all the homeless people together long enough to storm that pizza joint, that would be funny. Damn, if only people could organize sufficiently enough to storm a lot of things we could get some things changed around here! Too bad there aren't enough to do it.....

supergirlest said...

E X A C T L Y. this sickens me to no end. :(

Kate Michele said...

Word my Brother.

Firestarter5 said...

It's only getting worse.