Monday, March 12, 2007

Just Thinking

I was an hour late for work today. I set my alarm ahead an hour, too. I thought that’s how it was supposed to work. Otherwise, what’s the point? It's not really an extra hour of daylight, like they tell us it is. It just moves it to a place where we can enjoy it, but why should I lose sleep over it?
Another great idea brought to you by the Shrub and his Posse of Pussies. An extra hour of late-afternoon daylight was the best idea that they could come up with to ease our energy problems. Move the clocks, George. I only wish I could have been a fly on the wall during that MENSA-esque brainstorming session. Come to think of it, as a fly, I'd be the smartest one in the room.

Then, I was checking the QVC and they were selling this Dragon voice-activated software for your computer. Surf the web, make document files and generally get around on your PC by speaking the commands.
Great. Now, not only do we have to put up with the obnoxious cell phone clowns engaging us in their personal conversations, now the WiFi web surfers and workaholics will be annoying us in libraries, public transportation and restaurants all over America.

Tonight, Patti Smith gets inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as bogus an institution ever invented by the mind of Man. Patti Smith? Chicago isn’t in yet, so it can’t be that they have run out of potential inductees. I haven’t heard a Patti Smith record since 1975, so you can’t prove her worth by me. I wouldn’t cross the street to see a concert of hers, but in she goes with Van Halen, Grandmaster Flash, R.E.M. and The Ronettes, making a total of four performers I don’t have any interest in.
Patti Smith, a HOFer ... It reminds me of the conversation Jerry and George had over his new job with the Yankees:
"The Opposite" Show 86
Jerry : The New York Yankees?
George : The New York [twisting his baseball cap] Yankees!
Jerry : Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle ... Costanza?
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin ... Patti Smith?

I’m not a big fan of their induction policy to begin with. Why do they induct The Beatles and Paul McCartney. What’s the point? Putting McCartney in by himself should speak for his body of work. Just like Eric Clapton and Cream. John Fogerty and CCR. By the way, they spell it “Creedance” on their web site - dumbasses. (Even the Blogger spell check caught it). And, the real crown jewel of nonsense – Simon and Garfunkel and Paul Simon. Why not Garfunkel? Athletic Halls do not distinguish by team. It’s one person, one induction.
I think it boils down to making news and bringing fans to the joint, so three inductions are better than one. Once again, marketing and money win out over art and common sense.
I'm bothered by the oddest things, ain't I?

For some reason, I get really worked up over this NCAA Basketball Tournament. Most of the Thursday/Friday games are on too early to see, but I'm glued-in on the weekend. Since there are so many games, TV can always pick out a gem to show us. It's just great basketball.
I'd like to challenge Sparky to a Tournament contest. Let's see which of us can pick the best bracket. Maybe on Yahoo Sports or something? Post them up on Thursday and the loser has to write a George W. Bush tribute or something embarrassing like that.


Or, we could bet on this...
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - An online gambling site is taking bets on whether Heather Mills' artificial leg will fall off during her upcoming appearance on "Dancing with the Stars."
A week before Mills' March 19 debut, Antigua-based gaming site bodog.com opened bets on whether her prosthetic leg would fly off during a dance routine -- and made "no" a heavy favorite.
The site added that Mill's leg "must fall off, not be purposely taken off, during a dance routine for all Yes wagers to be graded a win."

Purposely taken off? Kinky bastards.
I guess telling Heather to "break a leg" would be in bad taste, eh?

2 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

amazingly, I came up with the same idea in my neck of the woods, I just didnt call you out.

and my sweet 16 is going to be this weeks list, because it just fits. This is the one time of the year that DirecTV is worth every penny.

So, would you wanna see Van Halen or Grandmaster Flash?

Anthony said...

I actually did see Van Halen. Once, on their first tour opening for Journey at the Tower. Then, at the Spectrum opening for Black Sabbath.
Awesome shows.