Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When the sex hits the fans.

So, the David Letterman intern sex scandal (should those have all been capitalized?) is the big news story. Big news: High-powered, highly paid TV star has sex with young women. Whew! We really blew the lid off libido, didn't we? Wake the kids and phone the neighbors. Maybe I'm jaded, but I can't get worked up over the idea that people enjoy sex. What I can get worked up over is that I can't seem to find anyone who enjoys it as much as high powered, highly paid TV stars. The world seems to revolve around me.
Meanwhile, Dave seems to be using the thing for the sake of his little late night talk show deal. Rather than let it lie, he keeps bringing it up to the point of apologizing to his wife on the TV. Wouldn't an in-person apology suffice - or be preferable? Methinks it would if he weren't using it for the proliferation of his TV show. Now I'm not sure who is being used here - him, us or his interns. Better yet, who cares?
People (and celebrities in general) are always sorry after they get caught. They continue in their abhorrent behavior for years, and when they are apprehended they start apologizing. Career-ending death bed confessions, as it were. Apparently, it was acceptable until somebody found out about it. Those aren't apologies, they are pleas.
And then there's the continuing saga of Brett Favre.
Isn't it interesting how the TV sports commentators have to say "Brett Favre" in two words together when they're talking about him, rather than just saying "Brett" or "Favre?" Brett Favre is one of those two syllable expressions that has to be said together. I don't think any of us dislikes Brett as much as we dislike the media for creaming their pants every time he does something interesting. He's like a newborn baby, where every time he farts somebody thinks it's Beethoven. Get over it.
Television and media in general feeds off its own vomit, and in both cases, the rage and self-inflicted excitement make them great fodder for ratings. Favre's game against the Packers on Sunday's installment of Monday Night Football now stands as the most-watched telecast in cable TV history, drawing 21.8 million total viewers, per Nielsen live-plus-same-day ratings estimates. I'd guess that Letterman's little CBS program is getting its own ratings boost based on his past indiscretions - for which he is sorry.
It's all about television and getting us to watch, and when it comes to that, there is nothing that is off limits, including embarrassing oneself or shameless self-promotion.
In fact, it's pretty much what television is all about these days.

3 comments:

Pinewolf said...

Thanks for helping me put it in perspective. I've been over Letterman for a long time now, I just haven't had the smarts to turn him off. I guess in some way I hope the show will be interesting enough to keep me awake for Craig. Unfortunately it seldom happens. I usually don't make it to the top 10 list.
I'd be better off working on new music or perhaps sleeping so I can actually get some work one in the morning.

Anthony said...

You could spend some time working on your Tacet Chords.

Kcoz said...

Your post was well written and well said Anthony, you hit it right on the head...I choose to read books and rarely watch TV...sick of the phony hype, the endless ridicules commercials and the poor content. It seems one has to be a freak to be on TV now a days.

Thank goodness for the internet an user content...far more truthful and intelligent than the crap on TV.

Later...